Chapter 15

Shailene POV

We sit there for a few moments in silence, neither one of us making a sound. He sits and stares at me as if he's trying to figure me out. I sit and stare at him realizing how different we both are. I'm becoming a carefree person, slowly changing my life to be more positive and free. He was becoming more serious of a person, of course he could still have fun but we didn't laugh about the same things. We didn't have meaningful conversations like we used to and we stopped talking about the future. I hear Daren clear his throat which brings me out of my thinking state.

"So I know Ana was here..." I tilt my head, trying to act dumb about it. Right as I'm about to speak Daren puts his hand up to stop me. "I saw her car outside, actually I blocked her car so either one of 3 things are happening right now. One is that she's just sitting in her car. Two is that she walked home. Three is that you're going to need to fix your lawn because she drove over it." I sigh, of course out of all the times Daren has to one up me it has to be now.

"So now I can safely assume you know what I did earlier today..." I nod, not sure what to say to him. I'm not hurt... but I am sad about how everything played out. "Shailene, you are an amazing person... I don't want you to think that you did anything bad in this relationship because honestly it was neither of our faults... we just changed you know." I nod again and it gets quiet. I look up at him again and he's staring back at me, "What are you thinking of Shai?"

I sigh, "I'm not mad at you Daren... I'm actually not. Honestly, I've felt the same way...." He chuckles, "You like Ana too don't you?" He claps his hands, "Damn it I knew something was going on during those sleep overs!" We laugh and I push him playfully, "Shut up Daren, you know what I meant!" He laughs, "I know I know! I just love messing with you!" I shake my head, "ANYWAY, I felt the same way with knowing that things between us have faded. Even if we tried to fight against it, things haven't felt the same for a while. Even before Ana came into the picture, I remember on the first day of school I didn't feel that spark with you anymore...."

He nods, "Yeah I can agree to that, don't get me wrong... I really wanted this to work. After all we've been through, the show to moving all the way over here to go to school to our friendship... it's just crazy how it all didn't last." I sigh and before I know it I'm hugging him. He tenses up for a second but then hugs me back, I close my eyes and think to the first day I met him on set. He held out his hand and introduced himself, making a joke to make me comfortable. I pull back and look at him, "I'm going to miss you Daren...." He pats my back, "I'm still going to be here, and just cause we officially broke up doesn't mean we can't be friends. To be honest we are really great friends, our friendship is great but us as a relationship can't work out. Besides me, you and Ana can still hang out."

I sit back down, "Daren you didn't have to go behind my back and try to talk to Ana... do you know how embarrassing that is?" He sighs and sits across from me, "I can't take back my actions nor do I regret them... but I do wish I could have ended things easier with you. You didn't deserve that, you truly didn't. I hope I didn't ruin your trust in people...." I stop him, "No you didn't, like I said I felt the same so I knew it was coming. Don't beat yourself over this, besides being embarrassed by it all, it's all okay."

He nods and sighs in relief, "Like I said before I'm sorry how everything played out... I really am. I should have told you earlier how I felt and broke things off with you sooner." I agree, I should have broken things off with him when I realize I didn't have feelings towards him. "Thanks for taking this well, I'll be on my way now." He gets up and starts walking towards the door, "Daren wait a second." He looks back at me, "I think she likes you too.... She just doesn't want to admit it. I'm not telling you to get with her right away even though I know you waited to make your move... just give her some time. I give my blessing for my two best friends to go out" A small smile forms on his lips, "Goodnight Shailene." I nod back at him, "Goodnight Daren."

He opens the door walking out, turning around, "Hey you might walk to call a lawn service, looks like there are tire marks on your grass!" I groan, "Seriously!!!" He laughs, "Just kidding her car is still there, and your lawn is safe!" I shake my head, of course he tries to lighten the mood with jokes. He leaves and I go lay on my bed, feeling free and relieved.