Chapter 13

Shailene POV

One Month Later.

College has been going good so far, it's honestly doesn't feel like it's been a month already. Daren, Ana and I have been hanging out a lot outside of school. She has become my best friend even though I know Daren likes her. I mean he hasn't admitted it or anything but just how the way he looks at her, I know. I'm surprised we haven't broken up yet, I mean I could have ended it myself to get it over with but I want to see if he'll have the courage to do it. I know I have to end it with him soon, both of us are just dragging it out.

As I'm leaving Mr. James's class he stops me telling me to stay behind. I wait as everyone leaves, telling Ana and Daren that I'll catch up in a few minutes. They leave and I walk up to his desk, standing right in front of it as he is looking through papers. He looks up at me and slightly smiles, I try my best not to smile back but I can't help it. I can still feel the butterflies in my stomach when I look at him, something about him draws me closer to him. "You know why I asked to speak with you Shailene." I nod. I bombed my last test, actually I got the lowest grade in the class. "You usually do a great job in my class, participating in the discussions and your views on life are interesting. I don't want to put any blame on anything else.... But possibly a reason why you're not doing so well could be from a distracting.... Boyfriend."

I quickly shake my head, "You may have a point there Mr. James... but he's not really.... We're not really..." He sits up in interest at this point, "You're not really what?" I shake my head again, "I don't want to burden you with my personal problems." He leans back in his chair, "Oh no it's fine Miss. Woodley, I'll be happy to help if I can." I debate for a second, should I open up to my teacher. I shrug, "We're not really together, the past month we've been having issues." He gets up and leans against desk, "Anything I can do to help? Maybe I can rough him up or something, teach him a lesson in respecting women." I laugh, "Even though it sounds tempting I don't think we need to go that far!" He laughs with me and starts packing up his things, as he's walking out he looks back at me and smiles, "Well Miss Woodley if you ever need my assistance with anything you know where to find me." He winks and walks out, it takes me a minute to recover but then I walk out with a huge smile on my face.

I start walking around the school, trying to find Ana and Daren but then just as I'm turning the corner I hear, "I'm not going to do that to her Daren, who do you think I am!" I quickly stop myself and scoot back a little, I know this is a conversation I'm not supposed to be listening to. "Come on Ana, we've all been having a good time this past month. I feel a lot better when I'm with you, all of the smiles and jokes..." I hear a somewhat loud thud, "Daren get away from me, Shai is my friend and to me that means something. Don't get me wrong, you're a great guy but you're with my best friend and I'm not getting in the way of that." He clears his throat, "But what happens if me and her weren't together... I mean things haven't been going too well, just this whole month... I don't know..." I hear a sigh, "You know Daren, that's... that's between you both. Even if you guys weren't together, I'm not going to be with you."

I slowly inch my way towards the corner, wanting to see their facial expressions. "Ana be honest, when you look at me... can you honestly say you don't have the urge to kiss me.... Because.... I.... know...." It's silent for a second and I can't help but peak and see Daren leaning closer to Ana, I hold my breath for a second. Then all of a sudden Ana pushes him back and slaps him, I stop peaking and lean back against the wall. I try to stifle a laugh, I knew Ana was going to do that. She's became my best friend so I know she wouldn't hurt me in any way.

I slowly start walking away and then I hear Ana, "You know I'm going to tell her right... I'm not going to hide this from her." I hear Daren groan, "Come on babe, don't do that. Please don't do that..." I shake my head, is he really going to try to hide it. "Don't call me babe, who do you think you are? What are you doing? Get your life together! You can't be with someone and try to be with their best friend. That's not what you do, Shai is such an amazing person and doesn't deserve this. If you actually think for a second I'm going to hide this from her for you... you're wrong." I hear walking away and I start walking quicker, if one of them were to walk this way they might know I was listening.

I get to my car and once I get in I hear my phone go off, I see Ana's name.

                We need to talk Shai.

A/N; I'm uploading a day early because I'm going out of town and won't be back till Sunday! I don't know if the hotel I'm staying at has free wifi so I rather be safe than sorry!

<4