Chapter 23

Shailene POV

    Theo and I are getting a lot of work done together. It's just about 9:30 when we decide that's enough studying for the day. I'm about to get in my car when I hear my name being called, "Hey Shai, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to hang out. You know, to celebrate you studying for that long and stuff. You're probably hungry right?" I debate for a second and out of nowhere my stomach makes a noise. "You know what Theo, dinner sounds really good right now!" He smiles, "Great! Just follow my car and know food is coming soon!" I nod and get in my car, following his as he drives. I wonder where we're going out to eat.

    10 minutes later he pulls into a driveway and gets out of his car, I pull in and get out too. "Where are we Theo?" He looks at the house and then at me, "Oh I figured I could make dinner here, unless you want to go eat out then we can do that as well." He starts pulling his keys out of his pocket, "Oh no Theo it's fine, just as long as you don't poison me or something!" He crosses his arms, "Darn you caught me Shai! Now you're catching on to my evil plans!" He laughs. I shake my head, "I knew it! You're a British spy trying to capture the American person!" We can't help but laugh together, as he's opening his door he mutters, "Only you Shai..."

    The second I walk into his house I feel as comfortable as ever. He has a really good vibe going on in here. You would figure you would be nervous walking into a friend's house for the first time but actually I feel good about it all. They say you can tell a lot about a person by the inside of their house and what I'm getting is that he's very family based and is an organized person. Which is rare considering he's a college professor. He gives me a little tour of the house and I sit on the couch as he retreats to the kitchen to make us some food.

***

    Dinner was delicious, he made us some pasta dish. I have to admit I was hesitate at first because I wasn't sure he could cook or not but now that I tried it I was very pleased with it all. We sat and talked about our lives and goals. It was very relaxing, it's been awhile since I had a serious conversation I enjoyed. I'm helping him wash the dishes when he asks, "So how long are you planning on staying at this college? I mean you must have thought of going back to California with your family..."

    I can hear curiosity and sadness in his voice, "I think I'm going to stay here, I actually like it down here. Yeah it's away from my family but they understand that I'm here to become a better person."

    He nods, "So since you and Daren broke up you're not going back?"

    I shake my head, "Not anytime soon, I mean I'll go down and visit but that's the most I'll do."

    He sets down one of the plates, "I always wanted to go over to the United States, it seems really interesting over there!"

    I smile, "That would be awesome! I could probably show you the awesome places the US has to offer! I mean if you want..."

    He smiles wide and nods, "I would actually like that Shailene, I'll hold you to that one!"

    I extend my hand out and he shakes it, "It's a deal! One day Theo we'll go over to the US and I'll make sure you have a great time!"

    For the rest of the night we had such a great time, talking and laughing. Around midnight I decided it was time to leave. "Goodnight Theo, thanks again for helping me." He smiles, "Goodnight Shailene, it was a pleasure tutoring you. You caught on quite quickly." I nod and as I'm walking towards my car I hear him call my name. I turn back around and look at him, he looks all nervous. "I was.... I.... I just hope you drive well. I'll see you in class tomorrow!" I nod and wave goodbye. Driving back go my place. I actually forgot he was my professor just because how well we connected as friends. I can't stop smiling the rest of the night.