Chapter 35

Shailene POV

I automatically feel my hands get sweaty, even though I know I have to tell her I just am so worried about it all. What happens if she thinks I'm crazy and disapproves, I want my best friend's approval. It would be like having my family's approval because that is what she is to me now, my sister. Or what happens if she doesn't like it and decides to tell the school board about it. I mean it's not like we're breaking the law or anything so they can't fire him or expel me but it would probably be serious. I can feel my heart beating faster and faster.

I look over at her and see her looking at me, I awkwardly laugh and try to relax myself, I know I have to tell her. Good or bad she is my best friend and she would look out for me. I don't know anyone else or would want to go to anyone else but her. Somehow she will be able to help and point me in the right direction, besides it's actually really hard to keep something like this from your best friend.

I grab her hand, "I'm about to tell you something you can tell anyone... not your family, not your friends, not Daren."

Her eyes go big, "Oh my god, Shailene Diann Woodley, is everything okay? Are you dying?" I can hear the emotion in her voice, concern and sadness.

I shake my head, "No Ana stop, I'm not dying or have any kind of sickness, I just need to tell you something you can't tell anyone at all. Please..."

She nods her head as the waitress places down the cookie thing Ana ordered and our check, looking at the both of us before walking away. I realize I'm still holding Ana's hand, oh if I was still famous the story this would make. I shake my head again and look back at her, her waiting for my news.

I take a deep breath, "So you know how I've been getting help for Mr. James class?" She nods, I continue, "Well I've been getting help from Mr. James himself and I've been meeting him outside of school to study together." She's just nodding, putting the pieces together in her head probably. "At first it was just us studying but somehow during us studying we started becoming friends..." Her eyes light up in fascination. "And then when I wasn't with you guys I was with him hanging out, studying or watching movies."

I crack my knuckles, "And last night we we're hanging out and next thing you know is that we were sleeping right next to each other and cuddling." She lets out a squeal and covers her mouth, looking around to see if anyone noticed. My heart beats faster and faster as she sits there in silence, just looking at me. I try to relax and think of the easiest outcome for everything, but I'm so terrified of what she is thinking.

She leans forward and whispers, "So you're best friends with the professor?" I nod and she sits back, taking it all in. All of a sudden she erupts in a smile and takes a bite of the cookie desert, "Oh we have so much to talk about now!"