Part 38

Matthew POV

"He didn't care..." Hailey whispered, into his chest and his now soaked T-shirt. 

Pushing her of him a bit so that he could gaze at her face he asked. "What?"

"He didn't give a fuck. He just left us...." Hailey breathe, more tears flowing.

"I-I'm sorry for your loss."

"Never once did he turn back....he just...walked away." Hailey whispered again, her eyes blurring as if she was lost somewhere in the past, far from the present.

"I-I don't think he could have had a choice...." Matthew reasoned. Trying to comfort her, as she remembered her husband's death. He knew not much of her past, but seeing her break down in front of him like this was enough proof that it is best left where it is...

"Choice." Hailey started snickering which eventually turned into loud laughter. "Choice." She repeated again.

Matthew felt confused. Why was she laughing? What was so funny?

"Oh believe me, everyone has choices, he just chose the wrong one.... Well maybe it was the right one." 

Matthew grew more and more confused as she spoke. What the hell was she talking about? Who has a choice when they can die? 

"I don't understand, how can anyone choose when they want to die?" Matthew asked, voicing his confusion.

Hailey's eyes abruptly met his, narrowing. "Die? He is not dead." 

"But I thought-"

"You thought wrong...." Hailey's voice interjected. "But... don't change your mind set, he might as well be dead. It is better that way. For everyone." 

By the time Hailey had finished what she was saying Matthew had already let her out of his grasp and stepped away as if she was a stranger. 

Who was this girl and what did she do with the Hailey he knew?

"You should not speak like that." 

Hailey's eyes narrowed into slits. "I can speak how I well darn please. If your don't like it you can leave as well. You know where the door is...." She turned her back at him.

Taking a calming breath, Matthew took a step towards her. "Look, I misunderstood. I'm sorry. But I can't seem to understand why you are letting your past interfere with your present. You seemed stronger than that...."

She slowly turn to face him. "Don't you see? No one cared. Everyone turned their backs the moment my life fell apart. My friends refuse to answer my calls or messages and my parents disowned me. I had no one... other than an arm filled with a sleeping baby and a small bag of cloths. 

I am upset now because no one ever turned back or gave a helping hand until you came around. A fucking stranger helps me more than my own blood!

I keep asking myself why you helped me and what do you intend on gaining from all this but the truth is, you have the biggest and best fucking heart I have ever seen! And the scary part is, I keep waiting for you to call a quits, but you have not done so yet.... and if it's one thing I have learnt is everything happens in a matter of time!" 

"So you think I would leave you?" Matthew asked, taking another step towards her, standing close enough to feel her breath fanning his face.

"I-I know so." Hailey whispered, looking into his eyes.

As he stared back into her mesmerizing eyes, unconsciously his hands inched closer to her face eventually resting on her cheeks. Leaning towards her, he whispered. "You know nothing of me and what I want. Believe me when I say so." Taking a step back, he spun on his heels and opened the door leading back to the room.

"And what exactly do you want?" Hailey asked stopping his movement.

"Let's just say that I want something I know I can't have." Looking over his shoulder at her he smirked. "But don't we all?" With that he walked through the door, exiting her room as well. 

***

Scarlet POV

Her fingers stabbed the buttons of her phone with such force as she dialled the last number that called her. 

Placing it to her ear she waited, her irritation showing on her annoyed face as she tapped her feet on the floor.

"Well Hello my girl!" A shrewd voice answered, making her roll her eyes.

"I am and will never be your girl." She mutter through gritted teeth. Why did she ever think of calling him! He was the last person she would ever think of calling.

The voice laughed, entertained by her response. "And how is your brother...Alex right?" 

"Cut the crap!" Scarlet snapped, she had had it with this man. She wanted to get this conversation over and done with as soon as possible.

The voice snickered again, making her blood boil even more. "Just making small talk, so what do I owe this pleasure? The voice finally ask, getting to the point. 

"I have changed my mind....I-I accept your proposition." Scarlet whispered, looking around her, making sure no one overheard her conversation.

"And what if I say that the offer is no longer open?" The voice teased, making her groan inwardly, rolling her eyes again. 

"Oh please, we both know you can't get what you want without my help..." Scarlet confessed.

"Hmm true, but I must ask, what caused you to change your mind?" The voice asked curiously.

"That is none of your business, let's just say that we can help each other get what we want."

"And what exactly do you want?" The voice asked again.

"I want many things...but at the moment I need you to get rid of someone for me.... " 

"Oh? Who is it then? Consider it a sealed deal." 

"Hailey. Hailey Johnson." 

"Your wish is my command." He mocked. "But remember, don't you even think of crossing me... you very well know what I am capable of and if you ever do that then I would make sure it is the last thing you ever do." He threatened. 

"Yeah whatever. Just get it done. " Scarlett dropped the phone before he could respond to her orders. 

She smiled down at her phone, that would teach him not to mess with fire. He may be cold as ice, but nothing would dere stand against fire. Nothing and no one would dere stand against her.....