Part 9

Matthew POV

No matter how many times he played over this evenings event in my head, none explained how he found myself here, in the home of the chocolate eyed beauty. Oh how could he stare at them for the rest of my life if he could, he would drown in them and refuse to call for help. Drowning he was yes. Not literally but emotionally.

Earlier today, he walked out of his office fuming. This day was another great disappointment. Still him and his team had reached no closer to finding where the money disappeared. However he had his ideas he kept him to himself telling himself not to suspect anyone until he found proof.

Getting into his car he pressed down on the accelerator and the vehicle jerked forward as its engine roared as it sped away.

Passing by the school he had once met the weird child that called him 'Batman' he slowed down and looked towards it. Seeing lights still on and the doors open he raised a brow. Looking at his golden rolex he realized that it was way past the time of closing. What was happening here?

Soon a figure appeared at the door, then two then three until it was a group. They were all children with a woman, maybe in her early thirties. In the midst of all the shouting and laughing children appeared a neutral faced boy, with his hands holding onto his bag strap tightly as it hang on his shoulders. Matthew knew him. Squinting his eyes in concentration he realized that it was the weird kid. On that day he was happy and enthusiastic but today he seemed sad and gloomy.

Matthew tried to shake the tiny tug he felt in his heart. Why should he care about this child who was just a stranger to him?

Maybe it's because for the first time in a very long time someone looked at you with nothing less that love and admiration without a secret agenda?

Fighting his thoughts were useless. He like this new chapter in his life even if it may end soon, he would welcome it as long as he can. Pulling the car to the side of the road he turned his ignition of and stepped out into the cold air just in time to see the group walking out of the gate and to his direction.

He pushed his cold hands into his pockets as he leaned onto the hood of his car. It didn't take long for the child to look up and notice him. Almost animatedly the child's demeanor changed completely as he broke free from the group and sped towards him. Matthew's heart leaped onto his throat as he stared in amazement at the child. Was this how it felt when parents saw their children after a long day away? He could hardly breathe before the child came crashing into him, hugging his legs tightly.

"Hayden! wait!" The woman called after him worriedly. As she got closer Matthew realized that she was a teacher. Her brows raised as she looked at him skeptically. This must be really weird.

Trying to shake of the awkwardness Matthew smiled. "Hello Miss?"

"Lola. Miss Lola" the woman smiled shyly as Matthew smiled at her showing his perfectly white teeth.

"You came back! " Hayden was talking softly as the two adults conversed.

Looking down at him Matthew looked back up to find the teacher looking at him. "Do you both know each other?"

"Yes he is Bat-" Hayden started to answer but Matthew cut him off abruptly.

"A friend." The last thing Matthew wanted was this child to infect the others with his crazy imaginations which would in turn make him look like a big joke.

"Oh." Was all Miss Lola said.

"Can I go home with you?" Hayden suddenly asked. Matthew looked down at him and frowned. Home? My home?

"If you two know eachother I don't see a problem to let him go with you if that is okay with you that is..." Miss Lola looked at Matthew for his approval. She beamed within when he shrugged his head in approval. At least she would have one less child on her hands to drop home...She was unbelievable tired.

Smiling at him she called to Hayden quickly before she left and walked away. "See you tomorrow Hayden."

Matthew looked down at the child still wrapped around him tightly. What was he doing?!

***

After helping the child into the car and buckling his seatbelt safely he walked around to his side and did so himself.Starting the engine he pressed the gas as the car moved forward. It was silent for a few minutes as Matthew tried his best to ignore the child's tortuous stare. The child look almost comical with a huge grin on his face.

Unable to avoid his gaze anymore, Matthew cleared his throat and spoke. "So.... What's your name?"

"It's Hayden." The child answered abruptly, making it even more hard for Matthew to start a conversation.

"Well, it's nice to meet you Hayden. So where do you live?" The faster he got rid of the kid the better. Why didn't he just stay in his car and go home? Matthew groaned inwardly. He brought this unto himself. This child was beginning to scare him.

"Oh- I live on the second street up there. " Hayden pointed and Matthew nod and followed his directions. Soon he found himself parked in front of an apartment building. Winding down the window he looked at it in horror. The building looked abandoned and the paint was already flaking and falling out.

"You live here?" Matthew turned and asked Hayden just to make sure that he got the directions correct.

"Yes. " The boy smiled but as Matthew was turning back towards the house he saw something twinkle in the boy's eyes. It was almost like the boy was ashamed. Looking back at the boy he found the boy's face emotionless, the smile long gone as he looked everywhere but at him. The boy reached for the handle and opened the door, getting out and picking his bag up as well before closing it behind him.

He turned and looked at Matthew, still frozen on his seat. Still Matthew was having a hard time believing anyone would live here. There was no other way to describe this place other than saying it was a total dump. Even saying that was putting it lightly...

"Thank you for the ride Batman." Hayden said and started to walk away.

"Wait!" Matthew called. Finally gaining his voice. "I'm coming with you." He didn't know why he wanted to go. Maybe it was because he was having a hard time believing his eyes? Maybe he wanted to see who the child lived here with? He was not sure.

"Really? You would come?" Hayden's dull face lit up as he looked at Matthew. Getting out of the car he nod and held onto Hayden's hands as they made their way towards the building. Breathing heavier and heavier as they got closer.

***

Matthew still could not believe his eyes, the walls were so ugly and unkept, the roof dripped here and there. His eyes roamed frantically around him. Did people really like live this? They passed by door after door, Hayden's hand still safely being held in his hands. Hayden stopped at a dark brown door with the number seventeen written on it. He raised his free hand and knocked. Hearing movement inside, Matthew's heart began to race, he back away from the door pulling Hayden with him. He did not know what to expect.

The door flew open, and without warning Matthew felt his heart drop to his feet as his eyes bore into the person standing before them. No- it could not be. His eyes was surely fooling him now. This couldn't be real. He blinked continuously, wishing he was dreaming but each time he opened his eyes there she stood. The brown haired angel who had pitched tent in his mind for months.

"Mommy!" Hayden suddenly shook his hand free and jumped towards her. Mommy? She was a mother?!

Matthew what the hell did you get yourself into!?

____

Hey there!

Miss me? Lol

Well here is Matthew's side. What do you think? Hope you are enjoying so far. Thanks for reading so far. Also His side is not finished. If you have noticed I went over my word limit by 400 words... But I love you guys so it's no big deal. Look forward to the continuation in the next chapter. ....

XOXO

Mel