Part 42

Matthew POV

What the hell was he going to do now? He had somehow dug himself into a deeper grave...

Last night was a mess. He and Hailey was finally finding a way to get along but his anger just had to step in and ruin it for them....

As his eyes stared at his reflection in his bathroom mirror, he saw a confident man standing before him... but truly all he felt was the opposite.

Pulling his silver tie tighter around his neck he buttoned the front of his tux. He was stalling.... He was fully aware of it. Maybe if he sneaked out through the back door she would not notice...

Rolling his eyes he tighten his jaw at his pathetic thoughts. Quit being a sissy and be a man!

Sighing he turned away from the mirror. Even his reflection began looking pitiful at him...

He needed to face her. His growing feeling would not let itself be controlled by him so he needed to fix this and fast...

Opening the door of his room  he could not help but sneak a peak outside before stepping through. Coward. 

Fixing his suit again for the hundredth time for the morning he walked down the stairs...his steps as soundproof as possible.

Stepping on the last step he inhaled deeply and happily. He was successful so far...

Moving towards the kitchen, he froze at the door way. His triumph smile fading as his eyes fixated on the very woman who was making home in his mind since the day he first set eyes on her. 

As if on cue, her eyes peered over at the door to find him in his thrown of balance state. Her eyes slightly glared at him making him groan inwardly. She did not need to say anything for him to know she was upset. 

Taking a deep breath, he ripped his feet of the ground, forcing it to step forward until he was only a few feet away from her. 

"Good morning." He greeted with a smile. A nice warm welcome to this cold morning seemed just right.

"Morning." She replied, her voice freezing the warmth away and blocking out the sunlight. Turning her back on him she continued making a cup of coffee for herself.

"Mind making me one?" He asked, figuring that he should just ignore her coldness and be polite.  This made her turn to look at him slightly. 

"Yes." She replied. Was it just him or did the room temperature just drop to minus four degrees?

Walking over to her, he stood next to her. Reaching for a mug he poured himself a mug full of coffee. Taking a sip he sneaked a glimpse at her. So sullen in the morning....

This silence was killing him and quite frankly it was awkward.

It was no use putting this off anymore. Placing his mug down on the marble counter he turned to her. 

"You wanted to know who Cat was?" He asked. This caused her to look at him.

"Not anymore."

"Well you did ask so I would tell you anyway." Rip the band aid off, rip the band aid off. "She was my best friend and girlfriend since high school. She was my first actually. And well... a few years ago we decided to get engaged and be married within a year but she had other plans... I guess our differences pulled us apart. My business pulled me one way while her dreams pulled her the other way. So long story short, she left.

And recently she had shown up as a target for some money that went missing from my company. But you know this....Alex told you I suppose. Anyway, so that's it." That was not it.....not all at least but it was still better than nothing.