Part 28

Hailey POV

Hailey spent most of the night reading the documents and doing research. Hayden returned about eight pm and fell asleep the moment his head hit the pillow. Looking over at his curled up form, she pulled the fluffy blanket over his shoulders, tucking him in. She smiled when he moved closer to her and rested his head on her legs. Passing her hands over his head, she pulled his hair off his face, revealing his adorable face. Tilting her head to the side she studied his face closely... oh how he resembled his father...

Without warning, a warm tear slid down her cheeks. Reaching up she wiped it of, bring her hand into view. Such a little water drop could mean so much...

How long had it been since she had remembered him? 

How long had she tried to forget him?

Why did she suddenly think of him?

Wiping her hands on her T-shirt, she placed her hands under Hayden's head lifting it and slipping away before pulling a pillow where she once sat, resting his head upon it. Standing a few minutes, gazing at him she felt a similar tug in her chest. Reaching up she covered her lips with her hand as a soft whimper escaped. He was the only thing that reminded her of her past. 

"Stop. Stop it." She commanded herself. Wiping the new tears away. 

She needed some fresh air or a long walk. Pulling a coat over her, she exited the room and walked down the stairs. She stretched out her hand towards the doorknob, and turned it, pulling the door open. All of a sudden she heard a noise coming from the kitchen. On tippy toes, she gently made her way towards it, being careful not to alert whoever was up at this godly hour. 

What if it's a burglar Hailey? 

This caused her to stop abruptly. Her subconscious was right... Looking around she saw a vase sitting on a small circular table at the corner of the wall. Walking carefully toward it, she pulled out the white lilies from it and held the vase tightly in both hands. 

If it really was a burglar, she was going to teach him a lesson he would never forget....

Reaching the door of the kitchen, she saw a faint light and a shadow moving. Leaning her back on the wall, she inhaled deeply. This is it. 

Raising the vase over her head, she charged into the room, towards the intruder. 

"Wow!" She heard a male voice shout before a hand shot up to hold her hands above her head, stopping her assault and another rounded her back pulling her soft chest to his hard muscular one. 

His citrus, baby powder scent surrounding her, making her dizzy with arousal. For a second she allowed herself to enjoy his warm arms around her and his sent to give her comfort... 

Hmm who would have thought a thief would smell this good?

"Let me go thief!" She shrieked, kicking him in the shin. He yelped and abruptly let go, retreating until the counter hit his back forcing him to stop.

"What the hell!" He yelled at her.

"Yes what the hell indeed!" She shouted back. "How dear you thief from my home!" She launched herself towards him again. 

Moving quickly, he dragged her, hitting the vase of her hands causing it to fall to the floor, shattering. She found herself pinned to the refrigerator with her hands above her head, unable to struggle or breathe. Her chest rose and fell frantically. 

"Calm down." He whispered, his minty breath fanning her ear. His hair fell over her forehead as he leaned his to hers. Nose to nose, mouth to mouth. She could feel every inhale and exhale of breath he took. With their bodies pressed close together, she was sure he could feel her's as well.