Part 31

Matthew POV

Looking at her standing on the pouch through the glass door,he pressed the phone to my ear, waiting for the driver to answer. He could not understand this woman at all. First she is kind and sweet and then she is cold and mean. Why did she suddenly wish to go away? and to where? Pressing his other hand to his head he sighed. The driver was not answering... What was he to do now.

Dropping his eyes to Hayden's body, he could not help but feel like the boy hated him as well. He understood that what happened in the past could affect what he thought of him now, but after Hayden had gotten a glimpse of him last night, the child had left and not said anything.

Firstly he had to find a way to apologize, and secondly he had to find a way to explain why he did what he did. Only if he had time. With them wanting to leave and him not knowing exactly what to say or where to begin he sighed loudly. Feeling a headache coming on. Where was his mother when he needed her?

As if on cue, his mother walked into the kitchen, yawning and stretching. When their eyes met, she frown.

"What's wrong Matt?" She asked, coming closer to him.

"She wants to leave mom." He answered, looking towards Hailey and Hayden again.

"She is not accepting your decision?"

"I-I actually didn't get anytime to talk to her about that yet..." He answered truthfully.

"What? Then why does she want to leave? Did you do something stupid again..?" Merry looked at him with suspicious eyes.

Rolling his eyes at her he sighed for what felt like the hundredth time for the morning.

"You are not helping..."

Merry laughed. "Son the moment you reached a man, I stopped helping....I am simply here to enjoy the joys of life. Even if that means watching you tussle with life's choices."

Exhaling loudly he turned to her. "Mom I honestly don't know what to do"

"Fine fine, tell her you would carry her wherever she wishes to go. Make her feel like she is independant, and that her choices does matter to you. Show her you care for what she cares about.Simple." Merry smiled.

"Simple." Matthew whispered. That simple sounds like a battle. But his mother was right...

"Thank you mother." kissing her on her cheeks and embracing her then left, walking outside to Hailey and Hayden.

"And for God sakes, do talk to the girl!" Merry called after him, laughter filled her voice.

***

Hailey POV

She turned upon hearing the door knob rattle and the door being opened. Seeing Matthew she asked "Is the driver almost here?"

"No. Actually I would be driving you..."

What? No!

***

Matthew POV

If looks could kill, he would be twelve feet under by now. There drive to this unknown place was mostly filled with uncomfortable silence with momentary glimpses of one another. Now and again, Hailey spoke, voicing the direction, and when she wasn't, she would just stare out the window..

Was he really that bad to look at?

Now he found himself parked in front of a small white suburban house with lush green hedges and a bird bath in the yard. What was this place? Looking towards Hailey for an answer, he narrowed his eyes. Her form was so tense and rigid, while her face remained an unemotional wall. She looked so uncomfortable and out of place here, while hold Hayden tightly in her arms...

Again the question came back to him, what is this place?

Hearing a sound, he looked away from her and at the house again. The door swung open with such force that a loud 'bang' was heard as it clashed into the wall. A small woman appeared at the doorway, her tear filled eyes focused on Hailey. In a blink of an eye she was rushing down the small steps and the stony driveway, towards them.

He turned a questioning brow at Hailey, wondering if she was going to help him in figuring out what this all was but he only found that she was becoming more and more uneasy. Her face looked almost tormented. Who was this woman? And why did she have such an effect on Hailey?

Hearing the loud beating of footsteps approaching, Matthew looked in the direction. The woman opened her arms, wrapping them around Hailey. Hailey shifted back out of surprise or bewilderment. Her hands still tightly held onto Hayden's hands as she made no attempt to hug the woman back.

"Oh my baby!" The woman cried.

Baby. Baby...This was Hailey's mother?

But why did she have such an indifferent feeling towards her mother?

The woman soon composed herself and pulled away, looking down at Hayden. Till now, Hayden had neither said a word or made any movement. Much like his mother, he was frozen.

"Oh my, this must be..."The woman moved towards Hayden. Suddenly, as if Hayden had gained his senses back, he removed his hands from his mother and moved towards Matthew, grasping his hands tightly. The woman's face showed shock and confusion as her eyes drifted upon Matthew.

She had not noticed him till now. "Who must this be?" She asked Hailey. Unresponsive, Matthew looked at Hailey to find her staring at the ground, her hands cuffed tightly.

Having a feeling that she was nowhere near to answer her mother Matthew decided to do so. Offering a respectful hand to the woman, he introduced himself. "Good day, my name is Matthew. It's wonderful to meet you." Matthew smiled.

The woman, extended her hands, placing it in his. "I am Grace... Hailey's mother." The woman returned a smile as her eyes roamed back at Hailey.

All of a sudden, someone cleared their throats making everyone look at them. A tall man with a mixture of brown and grey hair on his head appeared. He narrowed his eyes on Matthew.

If he had seen his daughter, he gave no acknowledgement of her presence. Hailey on the other hand, did the same.

"My daughter had not told me she was bringing someone..." The man's voice came out rough and unkind. Hayden tightened his hands on Matthew's hands, his body began to tremble.

Matthew looked down and lifted Hayden in his arms, as Hayden hugs him tightly, his back facing the man.

"Come on, let's go inside..." Grace grasp Hailey's hands and began dragging her towards the house.

Hailey looked back at them, upon seeing this Matthew nod, silently telling her that he would take care of Hayden.

"My name is Matthew, it's nice to meet you." Matthew offered his hand as he did before towards the man. The man looked down at his hand and up at him, their eyes narrowing on each other.

"I see my daughter has found herself a new play toy."

_____________

Meeting the parents is scary! (evil laugh)

Don't forget to comment and vote.

What do you think about Hailey's parents?

Thanks for reading...

XOXO

Mel