Chapter 13

Papi?

Camila couldn't believe it, it couldn't be her dad speaking, right?

Shot? In the stomach? What was going on?

All of a sudden Camila lost her balance, dizzy and light headed, she fell back onto her bed. She held the bracelet firmly in her hand, never wanting to let go.

A thousand thoughts were rushing through her head, all which she didn't know the answer too. But she knew, that this bracelet, this tattered and worn piece of material, could prove her whole life wrong or prove it all right. But did she really want to know? What if it wasn't what she expected? Was she ready?

Of course she was, it had been 11 years. She couldn't keep assuming anymore, she had to know. But she knew that there would be consequences.

Camila pushed herself up against the cave wall, so her back was upright. She gazed down at the at the bracelet again, allowing her finger to press the small circular button with the triangle on it. Her fathers voice instantly filled the room and Camila found herself already getting emotional...

*Theres gonna be quite a bit for me to explain... But please, bare with me.*

He sounded as though he was out of breath and wheezing.

*Before I explain, I need to let you know that I'm telling you this before I get back to the cave... This is because I will have no energy by the time I get back, and I won't have long left...*

It went silent for a moment, just the sound of his breathing audible.

*So, I was shot...*

He began.

Camila firmly shut her eyes, allowing a cold tear to run down the crease of them. This was already so hard. She felt her breathing pick up and become heavier and shakier.

*As you know... I went hunting. Well as I was hunting, I met the Jauregui's, in the forest.*

Camila inhaled sharply.

*They said they'd help me with finding a meal and maybe we could split it.*

He sighed, sadly.

*Well... We came to a clearing, just on the outskirts of the woods... Bad idea.

I didn't see it coming... But... But Mike and Clara... They saw it...*

Camila held her breath, biting her lip to stop it from quivering.

*Two gunshots... I closed my eyes but when I felt nothing... I opened them quickly...

I looked down... There were two bodies lying on the floor in front of me... Dead.*

Camila exhaled dramatically and burst into tears. She threw her head into her knees, sobbing violently. Her whole body was trembling and she felt herself slowly choking and suffocating. This was all too much, this couldn't be happening right now. It wasn't what she thought it was, right?

The recording played on, and although Camila could barely hear through her crying, she tried to listened carefully.

*I- I'm such a let down... I couldn't help them, save them...*

He choked on his words.

*I wanted to help so I acted on instinct...

I spotted the hunter briefly in the bushes and my anger got the best of me... I pounced in the direction of the dirty blonde man, and I bit down on his shoulder forcefully.*