Chapter 4 - Not In New York Anymore

Raphael

I sat on a high rooftop, looking out over my city as the sun came up. I tried not to think of the weird object my brothers and I had found. Instead, I focused on the sunrise and it's brilliant colors, the pinks and oranges and reds. The beauty was mesmerizing.

"Raph." My best friend, Casey waved a hand in front of my face. "Earth to Raph. Where'd ya go, buddy?"

Somehow I had tuned him out, which wasn't what a good friend would do but I had to forget about the object. Just the thought of it sent chills down my back. I had a very strong feeling that it wasn't anything good. What good could the Foot have been up to?

"Sorry, Casey." I said as I turned my head to my friend. "I just kinda zoned out."

"Naw, i get it." He pulled his vigilante mask off his head and held it in his hands, staring at it. "You got more important things to think about than my normal problems."

I realized in an instant that he'd been venting to me. Immediately I was stabbed with guilt. He'd let me vent thousands of times, always listening and offering advice. I felt bad that I hadn't been returning the favor.

"I'm sorry, I just have a lot on my mind." I waved my hand as if to shove my words away. "But that isn't an excuse. What were ya saying?"

Casey's face was the saddest I'd ever seen it. I felt even more guilt as my friend was obviously dealing with something big. I made a point to shut off my brain to listen to him.

"April wants me to put away my mask."

A sentence so simple you'd think he was being ridiculous in being upset, but it meant so much more. Casey and I had been vigilante partners for years. Ever since the one night I went out on my own after jeopardizing a mission with my temper. I'd seen him beating up some goons and decided to join in. We'd worked well together and have been best friends ever since. And now April wanted him to quit? I knew how hard it was for him since fighting ran equally in the blood of both of us.

"Now why would she want you to do that?"

Casey brown eyes met mine. "She wants to start a family, Raph. And she doesn't want to have to worry about where I am or if I'm okay."

I shook my head. Casey and April were engaged with a set date for a wedding. From knowing April for a long time, I knew she was all about plans and control. She wanted to have everything planned out and for it to go exactly the way she wanted. Casey had known this going into a relationship with her. I was at a loss for what to say.

"So this means we aren't gonna kick ass together anymore?" It's the only thing I could think of.

Casey sighed. "I guess so."

Then my phone buzzed and I pulled it from my belt. Swiping the screen, I could see I had a text from Donnie.

Geekasaurus : We need you back at the lair ASAP

I reluctantly turned back to my friend. "Sorry, Case. I gotta go. They need me back home."

Casey punched my shoulder, the sadness still evident in his body language. Even if he tried to hide it, I'd still see right through him. Which is why he didn't try in the first place.

"I get it, Raph. Go."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Maybe we can find a way to bend April's rules. After all, it is what we do best."

My best friend smiled, his white teeth showing and hope flooding his face. "Yeah. I guess it is. Thanks, buddy."

"No problem."