Chapter 13 - Beautiful In Many Ways

Jazmin

I ran my fingers through my hair roughly as I stared at the screen of Donnie's computer. Frustrated, I released a groan. The purple masked turtle had been able to hack into the NYPD criminal records but Kellerinn was nowhere to be found. I'd been searching for hours and couldn't find even a single trace of him. This convinced me further that this man was my father's doppelgänger. Being elusive had always been Zeppelinn's specialty.

I pushed myself away from the table and stood up from the swivel chair. If I took a break maybe I could refocus and actually find something. So I left the lab to find the turtles, or rather a certain one. Though I knew it wasn't in my best interest to keep hanging around the red clad ninja, I couldn't keep myself away. He was just way too intriguing.

Grunts and loud yells told me the turtles were in the dojo. I hadn't been around long enough to know exactly what happened in there but this was the perfect time to find out. From the sound of it, it seemed like all four were currently in the room.

Entering through the Japanese tapestry, the first thing I noticed was the presence of a very large tree in the center. How or why a tree was able to grow underground in the sewers was a mystery to me. Just like many things about these mutants were.

Ancient Japanese writings covered the walls, along with sketches of the four brothers. Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, and Donatello fought in front of me, paired off in twos and not paying me any attention. I was immediately drawn to the walls. Making my way towards them, I was careful not to disturb my new friends.

Though I couldn't read the words, I was certain that it was the story of how they came to be. Each drawing of the turtles was incredibly intricate, almost life like. Another drawing of a mutant I didn't recognize was next to it. It was of a large rat, his long kimono and wise eyes giving him a look of serenity. A name underneath the sketch read "Hamato Yoshi". Finally I could put a name and face to the family member I knew the turtles had lost.

I ran my fingers over the drawings, marveling at how beautiful they were. Whoever had done them was exceptionally gifted.

A three fingered green hand rested on the wall next to mine, startling me. Jumping back, my eyes connected with Red's, a smug smile on his face.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare ya."

I didn't even have to look to know the rest of them had left. I had been so wrapped up in my find that I hadn't realized they had finished. I really did have to pay attention more.

"I'm alright." I said as I moved back to his side. "It's my fault that I was a world away."

He didn't respond as his beautiful eyes focused back on the drawings. His fingers brushed over the rat, a sorrowful look passing over his handsome features.

"This is him, isn't it? The one you lost?"

He sighed before answering me. When he did, his words were thick with emotion. "Yes. Master Splinter taught us everything we know. He was our ally, Sensei, and Father. Protecting us was his greatest mission. Even down to his last breath, his love for us never ceased."

My eyes darted between the turtle and the wall. "So he died a hero."

"The bravest hero we will ever know."

Silence hung between us for a few moments as I let him grieve. I completely understood his loss. Even now, it still hurt for me to speak of Z. Although his death had happened six years ago, the pain was still there.

"Who drew these?" I ran my hand over the ancient Japanese words.

They were so elegantly written, each letter woven together with the next. I wished I could make them out. If the very sight of them took my breath away how much more would the words themselves?