Chapter 32 - Hurt

Jazmin

I kept a carful eye out for anything suspicious as we drove to my house. With everyone in the Settlement gone, I wouldn't put it past Tesh to leave some of his soldiers behind. They could be anywhere. In the alleys, behind someone's house, in a trash can, who knows. I would have to have to lock down the house as soon as we arrived.

Pulling into my gravel driveway, I reached into the back and grabbed my case before getting out of the car and grabbed my extra set of house keys out of the glovebox before locking it. I still didn't know where my keys had gotten to but I was fairly confident that if Donatello could pick it once he could do it again. I was just glad that i was smart enough to keep an extra pair for the house.

The turtles and April and Casey filed out of the bus and followed me up to the front porch of my two story house. Brick foundation and walls with casual ivory colored shudders and a black roof. Simple, but I liked it a lot. Plus it was secure.

"Nice pad." Mikey commented as the door unlocked and we all stepped inside.

"Thanks." I said. "Working 18 hour shifts for two years paid off."

I reached to the right of me where I knew there was a switch in the wall and flipped it, basking us in the light. I caught Red's eye as he shut the door behind our group and locked the normal lock them slid the large deadbolt into place. I was glad he was as cautious as I was.

"This is nice." Casey said. He and and the turtles just stood still for a couple minutes to take in their surroundings. Plan white walls of my living room and black leather furniture. Black carpet and a white lamp that stood next to my small tv stand which held a small 32" flat screen.

April followed me to the other side of the room which turned into my kitchen. Black and white was the color combo in there as well.

"Thanks." I said. "Help yourselves and relax. And anything in the fridge is yours." I opened the door to the said object and jumped back when the repulsive smell hit my nostrils. "On second thought don't eat anything in the fridge."

Red eyed me as everyone sat down gratefully on the couch. I tried to avoid his gaze as I searched for something to feed them to no avail. "So when are we gonna spar?"

I rolled my eyes before shutting the cabinet I was currently searching in and turned around so my back wasn't to him. It was only because I knew he thought he could beat me. In reality, I wanted to fight him just as much.

"After I get changed." I looked to April who was also searching my cabinets for food. "We can take showers then the guys can if they want to. I have got to do something about this." I held up a strand of my hair that connected to many others which were tangled into knots. April laughed and so did I.

"Oh but first..." I went to the windows and shut the steel covers for them, the others giving me curious looks. "We need to lock down the house. I have one of these on every window." Then I punched my code into a modem on the wall. "I also have a security system."

They seemed to take that as an order because they all split as soon as I finished my sentence. I shrugged. With that taken care of, I turned to April. "Shower?"

Her eyes lit up. "Yes please!"

***

I finished towel drying my hair and ran my fingers through the damp strands. It felt so good to be clean. To scrub all the grime off my skin and wash the oil and dirt out of my hair had been the most refreshing feeling ever. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd thoroughly washed myself. It was before all this had happened.