Chapter 6 - Terrible Stealth

Raphael

My brothers and I hurried out of the settlement, back into the dusty wilderness. My mind kept going back to that waitress. Jazmin, she'd said her name was. Out of all the creatures in that diner, she'd been the most normal-looking one. But, oddly enough, she was the one I was getting a bad feeling about. I don't know what it was. Maybe the fake smile she put on her face. Or her strange questions. Nevertheless, I was convinced we couldn't trust her.

"Leo!" Donnie called over the strong winds. "Where are we going?"

The dust was getting into my eyes and burning like hell. Neither of us could see very well. I was beginning to regret going through the portal. Hopefully, we weren't stuck here. I was really missing the polluted air of New York.

"We can't stay here!" The leader in blue yelled back. "It isn't safe!"

"What choice do we have?!" I yelled up to his position at the front of the group.

He stopped abruptly, causing the three of us to run into eachother. We all groaned at the sudden impact.

"Dudes, we gotta stop doing that." Mikey said as he rubbed his head.

"Look, that settlement isn't safe for us. I can just feel it." The look in his eyes was sincere. "I have a feeling that if anyone from this planet knows we're not from here it isn't going to be good."

"Jazmin said we were on Earth 7." Donnie pointed out. "Fascinating. NASA hasn't even been able to confirm the existence of life in other dimensions."

"So how do we get home?" I asked. "If we can't trust anybody enough to ask?"

"I... Don't know." Leo placed a hand on his head. I knew it was from stress since he hadn't been a part of the three person pileup a moment ago.

"If only I had my tools." Donnie said as he examined the cracked portal device. "I could fix this and we could be on our way."

Mikey brightened up and I went on high alert. This could only mean he had an idea.

"I got this!" He snatched the device out of Donnie's hands and began to bang it on the dry ground. "C'mon... just... open... so... we... can... go... back...to...eating...good...pizza."

"Mikey, stop!" Donnie yelled. "You'll break it even more!"

But, amazingly, he didn't. By some weird force of nature, the portal opened again, the blue and purple flecked light shining as brightly as before.

He stood up and handed the device back to Donnie. "See, guys. I'm smart." He laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Well, let's go!" Leo yelled as he charged through. I followed and Mikey went after me, leaving Donnie to come through last.

We passed through the color lit abyss. Although nothing was different from the last time, Mikey still screamed. Just him, nobody else.

Nobody else.

Arrival at our destination was quicker this time, atleast it seemed like it. It might've been because the device was damaged but I couldn't be sure. All I know is that we were very happy to see the lair when we passed through on the other side.

We all landed in a big heap, all of us groaning at failing to descend ungracefully. I just hoped it would be the last time. I was not eager to revisit that Earth and neither were my brothers.

"That was a close one." Leo said as he straightened up and brushed himself off. Mikey, Donnie, and I did the same.

"I'll say." Mikey said.