Chapter 16 - A Glimpse Of The Past

Jazmin

The hot water ran over my bare skin, covering me in a soothing blanket of steam and loosening the tense muscles of my back. I stood under the shower head with both my hands on the wall, bracing myself. I was very sore from my chasing the turtles then everything that happened after.

It had been awhile since my last mission, being held up at a quiet settlement had done a number on me. My skills were still there, just rusty. I would need to start working out again in order to be in my best shape when I met Tesh again. I couldn't afford to take any chances.

After several long, blissful minutes, I reached down and turned the water flow off. Standing still, I looked down at my bare body, seeing the numerous scars all across my torso and chest. Some were still visible on my thighs as well. They were a permanent reminder of my hatred towards Tesh. Not only had I been physically hurt, I had also been emotionally damaged. There was no end to the ruthlessness of Maleek.

I ran a hand over the dark lines and forced myself to not be sucked into the memories of how they'd gotten there. I was no longer in a position of submission. Which meant he could no longer do anything to me. As long as I kept this mindset I was safe. I just had to stay strong mentally.

I wrung the water out of my hair and stepped from the shower onto the towels on the floor of the bathroom. The entire room was covered in a thick layer of steam, hiding the Japanese art covered walls from my view. I breathed in deeply, inhaling the scent.

Pine.

It was the only soap the turtles had. But I didn't mind. The smell reminded me of Red.

I grabbed the black towel off the toilet that he'd left for me, holding it to my nose and breathing in deep before wrapping it around my body. He'd laid everything out for me along with showing me where the necessities were, even implying that I could wear some of his clothes instead of my dirty ones. Curious, I'd asked why a turtle even owned clothing. He'd responded by saying they were for patrols. I'd almost laughed. New Yorkers must be extremely gullible if they would mistake a giant turtle to be a human. Even with clothes on.

Earth 1 inhabitants were definitely strange.

I took the toothbrush from the sink, squirted some blue paste on it, and brushed my teeth for a good 5 minutes. While doing this, my stomach growled. I guess I'd been putting off regular activities since I'd arrived here. I'd have to get some food soon.

Sweeping my damp hair to one side, I tied the towel at my chest and grabbed my dirty clothes, preparing to head to my room. But when I opened the door, I stopped in my tracks.

Red stood on the opposite side of the hall, leaning against the wall with a smug smile on his face. I immediately thought of our almost kiss in the dojo.

"Were you waiting for me?" I asked, unable to keep the suspiciousness from my voice. A couple answers popped into my head before he spoke.

"Yeah." His amber eyes scanned up and down my body, making me feel suddenly exposed.

"Well, let me get changed and then I'll come find you."

He crossed the hallway and stood in front of me, his mouth still turned up in a smirk. After all we'd been through already, I trusted him. But I was hesitant at this moment.

"You don't have to. I can talk to you right here."

I re-adjusted the towel with my free hand and his eyes followed my action, a look passing over his handsome face that I couldn't quite read. He must've just noticed that I wasn't wearing anything but that towel right then.