35; tick, tick ... BOOM!

12. We Are Grounders Part 1 (2)

❝Last night I matched each star with a reason for loving you. 
I was doing great until I ran out of stars.❞
UNKNOWN

♛♛♛

The tunnels were dark, and the duo only had the re-lit torch that Lincoln held and the man himself to guide them back to their camp. As time dwindles on, the two were growing restless, and not just because of the unknown fear regarding to the reapers.

"This can't be the only way." Finn whispers. "Check the map."

"If you want to get home before Tristan slaughters your people, this is the only way." Lincoln crouches down at another entry way hearing the shouting of the reapers, causing the two behind him to follow his actions as they peer over his shoulders. 

The shouting was the most ominous sound to Clarke's ears. Her eyes narrowing in confusion as she heard the thud made from the one they could clearly see the entrance way. Whatever was underneath him stops moving, and she wonders what it was.

"Clarke." The girl glances over at Finn who's staring straight ahead. "The carts."

She turns her head away from Finn, ignoring the reapers and towards the cart only feet from where they crouch. Her eyes look at the black bags, before singling out a figure - a leg - that was hanging out from the sides. "What the hell is this?"

Her question went unanswered as the grounder who knew more about what they were dealing with ignores her, and stares aimlessly at the reapers before glancing at the two tunnels including the one with reapers were right before them. The shouting of the reapers went ignored as he turns around to Finn. "The tunnel on the right will lead you through the woods into your camp." He pulls out his journal he had in his pocket, and places it into Finn's hands. "Take this."

Finn takes it putting it inside his jacket. "What are you gonna do?"

"I'm gonna lead them away. Wait until they follow me, then run." He had started pulling out his sword from his waistline while he was speaking, causing Clarke to stare in bewilderment. He hands it over to Finn, trusting him more now than ever. "For Octavia."

Clarke scoffs, leaning down to gather his attention. "Wait a second. If they catch you, they'll kill you." She couldn't think of another scenario to happen instead, she was worried about him as he had betrayed his own to save them from execution.

"Worry about yourselves." Lincoln looks over at the reapers before his eyes flicker between the two with him. "Most of Tristan's rangers will be at your gate by nightfall, but he'll send riders ahead, scouts. All of you have to be gone before they arrive."

Finn checks over the man's shoulder locking eyes on one of the reapers getting up, walking towards them. His face had metal in its nose and side of his face. In his hands held a knife like weapon, and was prowling towards them. "One of them's coming."

Lincoln puts the sword into Clarke's hands, and she stares at him frantically. "Where are we supposed to go?" At the same moment, the reaper was only a few feet from them.

"In my book, there's a map. Chart course to the eastern sea." He informs, as Finn watches the reaper warily. "There's a clan there, led by a woman called Luna, a friend. Tell her I sent you." he spins around, hearing the claps of the reapers feet on the ground.

Finn grabs his arm quickly. "Thank you."

"Just get Octavia out of there." Lincoln glares at him, making the unsaid promise with a single nod. He turns back around seeing the reaper face where he crouches, and within a second, Lincoln places a scowl on his face and stands up, stalking towards the reaper.