Chapter 29

I suddenly opened my eyes, feeling a wet substance running down my face. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening to me.

I was upside down in the cab, my seat belt still preventing me from touching the ground. I was pretty much hanging. I looked around as I started to panic. There was glass pretty much everywhere and it was difficult to see because of the smoke coming from the multiple airbags.

"Lauren." I heard someone say, making me jump a little bit. "Hey, Lauren." The voice repeated. It was weak and shaken, but I recognized it the second time, it was Adam's voice.

"Adam?" I weakly said, trying to look at the front of the car.

"Listen to me." He said even if I couldn't see him. "I want you to stay calm."

I raised my right hand to my forehead and wasn't surprised when I realized that the warm liquid was my own blood. Since I was upside down, it was falling everywhere, especially in my face and my neck.

"Is there anything broken?" He asked as my heart dropped really low when I saw that Camila wasn't next to me.

She wasn't wearing her seat belt when the crash happened... I tried to keep her by my side, but I couldn't.

"Camila." I weakly mumbled, trying to move.

Adam was talking, but I wasn't able to understand him. My head was killing me, but I was still trying to look everywhere. When I looked at the top of the car, well the floor for me, I gasped.

"Lauren, don't look there." Adam firmly said. "I'll get you both out of here, I swear to God..." He mumbled as he was talking to himself.

Camila was lying there, not moving. Her hair was covering her face, I couldn't see if she was awake or not.

"Lauren, listen to me!" Adam almost yelled as I started to panic again. "My left leg is stuck and I need you to help me, do you understand?"

"Camila!" I yelled, trying to touch her with my hand, but I couldn't reach her. She was too far and my position wasn't helping me.

"Lauren, for fuck's sake!" Adam shouted, making me look at him. "Is there anything broken?" He asked, strongly.

Now I was able to see him. He didn't have his seat belt on either and, since the car was completely upside down, he was lying on the top of it. Basically, I was the only one still "sitting properly".

"No, I-I don't think so." I responded.

"You're going to remove your seat belt and fall on the ground. I'm stuck, I can't move." He said, using a calmer tone. "We need to get the hell out of here and quickly."

I nodded and my eyes stared at Camila once again.

"I'll be able to help her okay, just get out of the car by the broken window next to you and come to my side." Adam continued.

I did what he wanted me to do. Removing the seat belt wasn't easy! When I finally managed to unlock it, I abruptly fell on the ground.

"You're good?" Adam asked.

I didn't responded, I simply hurried to get out of the car. The window was already broken, so I only needed to crawl.

Outside, I realized that we were next to multiple trees, a forest maybe. I didn't want to stand on my feet, I was afraid that my legs would not be able to support my weight.

I finally managed to stand up, supporting myself with the car. I gasped when I saw the driver covered in blood a few inches away from me.

"Is there anybody around?" Adam asked from his place.