Chapter 3

Giselle's POV

My alarm clock rang loudly making me wake up. I kept my eyes shut and swayed my arm around trying to look for the clock. I finally gave up when I couldn't find the snooze button so I sat up and turned it off. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock which read 8:40 A.M. Shit! I might miss breakfast! I quickly stood up, grabbed some decent clothes, and put them on. I went in the bathroom, fixed my hair, then brushed my teeth. I grabbed the room key and dashed out the door.

I looked around the hall and looked for signs to guide me to the kitchen. I find my way and peek through a crack on the door. People from all ages were sitting down on tables. I walked in and went towards the dishes filled with food. I grab a plate and serve me some pancakes, a bagel, and a couple strips of bacon. I looked around for a place to sit, but all the tables were taken. I looked at the very back of the room and saw an empty seat. A blonde boy that looked around my age was sitting at the table. I slowly walk up to him and decide to ask him if I could sit there.

"Is this seat taken?" He shook his head shyly. I quietly sat down and started eating my food. He had earphones wrapped around his ears. He turned up the volume to his music so that I could hear it clearly. Was he trying to ignore me?

"Coldplay? I love that band!" I say excitedly. I'm not sure if he was shy or just didn't hear me say anything despite he had his music on high. I rested my back awkwardly on the chair, I guess he saw me because he then quickly took off his earphones and looked at me.

"Oh, pardon me. Did you say anything?" I smiled. He had cerulean eyes. They were beautiful, like the ocean. I think he caught me staring because he then hummed and tilted his head sideways. I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Oh, uh, sorry. Your eyes they're really pretty. I'm sorry. I just... I'm sorry." I felt blood rush to my cheeks. He just laughed.

"Why are you apologizing so much? You didn't do anything wrong. By the way, I like your eyes too," he said sipping on his apple juice. I let my head drop so he wouldn't see me blush.

"I'm Niall, and you are?"

"Giselle."

"You're very different Giselle," he said laughing and shaking my hand.

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked confused.

"No, no. It's just, I've never seen anyone quite like you. You're unique." I smiled awkwardly.

"Thanks. So, that band you were listening to... you like Coldplay?"

"Yeah, yeah. They're pretty cool. What's your favorite song?" I thought for a while.

"Mmm... "Fix You." What about you?"

"Actually, mine's that one too!" He smiled excitedly. "Um, so you know how every song you like has a story behind it? What's yours? I mean, why is it your favorite?" He asked curiously.

"Umm..."

"Oh, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he implied.

"No, it's fine. Well, the first line goes When you try your best, but you don't succeed. So, I guess that has to do something with Michael, he's my dad. I would always try to do my best to please him, but he would always want more than I could do. Like everything I did wasn't good enough. The next line goes, When you get what you want, but not what you need. I guess there really isn't a story in that one, because I never got what I wanted or needed. The next line goes, When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep. That reminds me of when my mom committed suicide because I would think about her every night. My thoughts kept me awake even though I was tired and wanted to sleep, I just couldn't. Then it goes, Stuck in reverse. Which is pretty much my whole life because everything seems to go wrong. But then the chorus goes, Lights will guide you home, and ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you. So, that line gives me hope. Like there's someone out there that could make me happy and make me forget about all this bullshit in my life. Someone that could change my life forever."

I just sat there in silence I saw as Niall sat there thinking about something. He gulped and looked up at me. His face full of sorrow.

"Wow. It's amazing what music can do," he said looking back down at his empty plate. I hadn't even noticed how fast he had eaten his food.

"Yeah, what about you? What's your story for that song?" He looked up at me and back down. He sighed.

"After the chorus it says, High up above, or down below. I guess what this line speaks to me is wherever my dad is, he's watching over me. If he's in heaven or even hell, he'll always be watching me no matter what. He died when I was eleven. It was a very hard time for me. Then the song goes, When you're too in love to let it go. I had a girlfriend. I loved her more than anything in the world, and she ended up cheating on me. She used me. I loved her so much that I would go after her; I wouldn't give up, despite what she did to me. Until, I finally gave in. Then the most important line to me goes, But if you never try then you'll never know, just what you're worth. To me this means that if I don't give up on love, I'll find someone better that appreciates and loves me for who I am."

I cupped my hands around his. He looked up at me and I smiled. He returned the favor and looked around. I hadn't noticed before that the tables were cleared up and we were the only ones left.

"Uh Giselle? Do you want to go to my room? We could chill there and maybe watch a movie or something?" His eyes glossy in the light.

"Yeah, that would be nice. I need some friends around here anyways." He laughed.

"What's your room number?"

"317."

"Great! Pick you up at 7!" I pushed his arm playfully and laughed. I turned to look at him.

"You know what?"

"What?" Niall asked puzzled.

"You turned out to be more different than I thought." He grinned.

"Is that a bad thing?" I smiled.

"No." His smile grew wider.

"Okay, so I'll see you then?" I nodded.

We said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways. This was turning out to be better than I thought.

Edited: 4/14/14