Chapter 1

This is a sequel to The Way It Should Be and for you to properly understand you should read that one first.

My eyes flutter open once, but the weight of them is too strong and I close them again. I know I'm supposed to wake up soon but I'm so sleepy. I feel like I haven't slept in years - which in all honesty isn't too far from the truth. I try again and this time they stay open.

I squint my still heavy eyelids as I look over towards Darren's side of the room. The sight of the flame of a wax candle next to Darren's hammock sends me shooting out of my own hammock. I guess he fell asleep while writing in his journal - which is only a few inches from the fire.

I hop out of my stringed bed and walk over to my beloved brown haired friend. Looking at his diary and pen laying on the ground - it's open so I'm assuming he accidentally fell asleep and dropped it - I sigh and pick them up. I glance through the page before closing it and placing it in his bag.

I press my index finger to his forehead to wipe off some dirt that fell from the cave ceiling before glancing over to Harkat to make sure he wasn't awake to see my best friend tendencies. I sigh before picking up the candle and going towards my hammock again.

As I pull myself into my bed my stomach growls and demands for food, I guess bat broth isn't as filling as I had thought.

"Tux? You awake?" My brown haired vampire friend asks while slowly sitting up.

I smile towards him before teasing him, "Nope, I'm just getting ready to burn down our room."

I glance over to Harkat who I see is smirking evilly at me. I narrow my eyes at him as annoyance consumes me, this little rat.

Next thing we know the cell door opens and Mr. Crepsley is standing there ready to lead us out of the room. "We must go now, the festival starts soon." He says, with an out-of-character amount of excitement. Not going to lie it kind of frightens me.

Without a second of hesitation the four of us - Larten, Darren, Harkat, and I - made our way to the lively hall of Oscar Velm.

Without much surprise the hall is jam packed with vampires of all different colors, sizes, and markings. I chuckle as I see a skinnier male vampire fail to flirt with on of the few female vampires.

Darren, Harkat, and I talked while we waited for the festival to finally begin, though we had to yell over the other rowdy bunchs.

"What do you think this festival is anyway?" I ask as I slowly lose my mind in this Godforsaken Hellscape.

Darren thinks for a second, "I think it's filled with alcohol and fighting." He attempts to hide the pride that threatens to consume his face but he fails and a slight smirk appears.

"You don't think these people are dumb enough to fight drunk...do you?" I ask

Harkat laughs, "If they get drunk."

I nod my head, "You're right, but I don't have enough faith in them that they won't drink whole barrel..." I pause and I scrunch my nose up. I stick out my tongue and hang my head as I determine they would drink kwhole barrels of alcohol. "Anyway my question still stands." I say while lifting my head to look at them.

"I don't believe they are...I hope they aren't." Darren responds while glancing around the place with narrow eyes which is a natural response for this kind of situation.

"That they are smart enough? So do I...but we know how a vampire thinks with brawn not brain, so....we will just have to watch and find out."

He opened his mouth to speak, but was quickly interrupted.

"Be quiet!" Someone else's voice rings through out the hall and we look to see the three Princes standing on a table. I know I should focus on the yelling vampires but the table they are on is made of large old bones and tree sap so it is wobbling and I wouldn't doubt if it breaks here in a second.

"OK, so the Festival of the Undead has finally come." Arrow says while cupping his lips so the people in the back can hear. It is futile though as we are around the middle and can barely hear him.

Paris cups his own lips and does the same as Arrow did, "Before we begin we must name all the vampires that have died from the last Council."

During the tribute, all the vampires this weird hand gesture thing. They put their middle finger in the center of their forehead the ring and index on their eye lids and spread their thumb and pinky to the sides of their heads. They all mutter, "Even in death may you be triumphant."

Then the festival begins. We aren't given any explanation for the previous action given as everyone goes crazy. As if the news of the vampaneze being in the area was a day-to-day occurrence and there was nothing to worry about.

Gavner handed me a cup of the yellowish bubbly liquid, but the smell and the general color disgusted me.

"Come on. You're an adult, try some."

"No, I'm fine. I've never had any before. I'll get drunk instantly." I laugh.

"Vampires have better metabolisms."

"Probably, but I am no vampire."

"But you will be one soon."

I look at the cup my friend waves in front of my face. I look up to his face and he smiles at me. "Fine. I'll try some." I say as I snatch the overfilling glass mug from his hand. "I'm only doing this because I want to, don't get the wrong idea." I snap. I'm actually doing it because he could be - should be - out having fun, but he is instead here talking to me.

I drink it all in one go. A very bad decision. I don't know if the place has low alcoholic drinks, but if not they need some because that made me drunk instantly. And from there, who knows what happens.