Chapter 13

The day after the meeting at the Hall of Princes I sat within my cell and lay on my hammock staring at the rocky and sharp ceiling above me.

I lay in my hammock.

This is not my fight. The war soon to come between vampire and vampaneze not humans. I have no place here. I will go back to the Cirque once I know what Darren's punishment for failing and deserting, though I already know what it is...death.

Harkat comes in after a while.

"You not fighting?" I ask.

"Its not... my place... to. Why... aren't you?"

"The same reason."

"Oh."

We sat and waited anxiously for someone to come in and tell us that the vampires killed every single vampaneze with no men lost! As if...

We already know how this will all end. Darren's plan was flawless, but that doesn't mean we won't be losing men along the way. We know that we will lose well respective people and that it is a step that we must take for the safety of the entire clan.

Before I knew it the door to the cell was open and the same brunette stood at the doorway with a grim and scary frown.

"How'd it go? I see you didn't die." I smile, trying to mqje the aura light...but it just darkened. I looks at me, tears filling his eyes, my smile fading realizing something bad truly happened.

"Arra... was stabbed."

I sat on my hammock for a few moments. "What?"

For the next couple of days I spent with Arra.

Apparently what happened was while she was fighting one of the vampaneze she got cocky and was stabbed. I guess we can't blame anyone, but her...as much as I wish to blame the vampaneze.

Over the days she was in the Hall of Ruka Do Priatore - a hospital sort of thing - I was a mess. I mean, I was already a mess before, but someone else getting hurt because of my inability to help my friends is just...sad and depressing.

Arra was a bloody mess. Sure she had been washed up directly after the incident and every day since, but she wouldn't stop bleeding.

"Arra, you'll make it. I swear." I smile. Mr. Crepsley wasn't with us at the moment, he was busy with the search to find Gavner's body.

"Don't lie to me." She says.

"I'm not lying to you, I'm lying to myself." I say, looking at my lap.

"I'm really sorry."

"Don't apologize!" I yell, while an endless stream of tears fall from the two spheres plopped in my face.

"I must. You need to be able to know when you are in the wrong, I know now. You were not useless and you did good. I'm sorry I was unable to stick around long enough to actually blood you."

I shake my head, "Don't worry...I was a fool. If I had stayed back I would be able to be happy even for just a few months. With Kurda and you...I wouldn't have known about Kurda betraying...and I would be able to still be his friend if I hadn't."

"No. It was for the best you learned. I may not know you long or well enough, but I've heard from Larten that you grow fond of this easily...and I'm sorry."

"Fond?" I echo, "I do no such thing."

"I've heard the stories, Evra, Sam, Jack, Kurda, and Gavner." She shakes her head, "I do not wish to fight you, so let's drop the subject."