Chapter 54

We arrive at the old theater. The one where I first saw the Cirque. Where I met Mr. Tall for the first time. And where it all began. I begin crying as I see this place.

Darius pats my head - with a very audible gulp - before trying to comfort me...the enemy.

"Stop being a cry baby." He says. "You're supposed to be strong! That's what dad says! He always talked about you in a happy way..."

I stop. "What...?"

But my question was not answered as we had to enter the theater.

The auditorium had no floor, except they were replaced with stakes....I see a pattern with these encounters.

The stage was remaining and the entrance to the room. We were at the entrance area. Thre- four people were standing on the stage opposite if us.

Steve, Gannen, R.V., and of course Shancus.

I put Darius down, but keep him by my side.

He is still a child, regardless of who his father is.

"Dad!" He yells.

"Tux. Get your hand off my son." Steve growls.

"I will do no such thing!" I yell. "Darius is a good boy and he doesn't need you! I believe in him despite you being his father!"

"You can't just take him like that!"

"And you can't take Shancus like that!" Evra yells.

"Dad!" Shancus yells.

"Don't worry, Son, I'll get you back!" Evra yells at Shancus - hope and regret clashing in his voice.

"Don't lie to your son now." Steve says.

"Aren't you gonna reassure your sons life?!" Darren yells.

"No way!" Steve yells. "I'm not gonna lie to him!"

"You monster!" I scream. I look down and pet his hair. "Don't worry I won't let the others hurt you."

"Tux." Vancha says. "You've gotten too attached to the boy. It has only been a few minutes!"

"I don't care!" I yell. "Darius is a kid! His future may have been made clear simply by his birth - but I believe I can fix him!"

"Tux." Steve says. "You did always have a big heart. You just didn't show it."

"Shut up!" I scream. "Let Shancus go!"

He shakes his head. "Sorry. No can do."

Darren gives Harkat a look and I see Harkat nod. Harkat grabs my arm and pulls me away from Darius while Darren puts a knife to Darius's throught.

I struggle against Harkat.

"Steve! Give us back Shancus and we won't hurt Darius!" Darren yells back.

"Darren stop!!" I yell. "Let him go!"

Darren shoots me a glare I have never seen present in his face before - and it scares me...more than Mr. Tiny's ever has. I gulp down the lump in my throat and yell at Steve.

"Please! Just give up Shancus!" I snap back, now about to hyperventilate - what is wrong with me?! "Your son will get out of this safe!! I swear, just give us Shancus!"

"Tux." He groans, "You're too kind."

"Please." I cry, "Please...give me my nephew back."

"If you dont give him back I'll kill him." Darren says pressing his knife to Darius's skin.