House of Kisses/House of Rain

Jared kept his eyes wide open during the entire experience and suddenly drew away when he realized he was still in control of his own actions. He also withdrew his hand from Lucille's and stared at her in astonishment while she stood them turning a bright pink.

"Why did you do that?" Jared suddenly asked.

"Your hand was glowing and I thought I'd conceal it before anyone noticed and yeah that's kind of where it went." Lucille explained all this softly and all rammed together, refusing to make any formal gesture or form of eye contact.

"D-" Jared hesitated before continuing with his next question, rethinking whether or not he really wanted to ask this question in fear of the answer he might have actually received. But he went ahead with it anyway. "Did you want to do that?"

Lucille opened her mouth to draw in a sharp inhale and as she lifted her head, Jared noticed she was on the verge of tears. She didn't say anything but instead she just sped past him, hoping to never see him again. Which, of course, was slightly impossible.

~~~~~
Niamh could barely believe what she had just seen and she hurried away, followed closely behind by William. Mr. Rainier froze on sight of her entrance to Anubis house, but she paid no mind to him as she slammed the door and stormed up the stairs.

William entered soon enough himself, shooting a glance toward Mr. Rainier but thinking nothing of him, but instead just dropping his things in the foyer and heading up the stairs after Niamh.

He opened up her bedroom door and saw her on her bed, her knees drawn up to her face.

"Niamh..."

She didn't say a word.

"You're okay...aren't you?"

William honestly didn't want to see anyone harmed or disheartened in anyway. He learned from both his parents that care is key, and he had grown to become a great empathizer even though he wasn't the best at helping people.

"Just...get out," Niamh demanded calmly.

William didn't want to evoke anger out of her, and so he just nodded. He backed away and gave one final and longing look in her direction, and then he left. As he was heading back down the stairs, Lucille had hurried up right past him, and Jared and the others had just begun to enter the house.

William descended the steps fully and picked up his things, heading off to his own room. Jared caught up with him for a brief moment and muttered, "Not a word to anyone."

William nodded, but Jared had disappeared into his own room by then. William didn't have the intention of saying anything about it, so he was already being compliant at his own discretion.

~~~~~
Durning breakfast, Lucille, Jared, William, and Niamh were all silent provoking the rest to be as well. That was until William spoke up and asked, "So how about that weather we're having?"

Everyone looked over at him. It was in fact raining outside, and they could hear the heavy splatter on the stone outside. A crack of thunder and a flash of lightening had also erupted just soon after William asked this question, and he just shrank down in his seat.

"Hopefully we all have umbrellas," Rachel admitted.

"How about that Mr. Owen dude?" Jared brought up, glancing around to make sure neither Mr. Rainier or Mr. Carroway were around. "He's kind of strange, isn't he?"

"You shouldn't talk about administration that way," Sarah muttered.

Jared mumbled. "I didn't say it was a bad thing." Jared changed the subject. "Okay, why can't they just cancel school? What if I get struck by lightning out there and die?"

"I'd like to see that happen," Niamh shrugged.

"It's highly unlikely," Rachel told them.

"I actually have gotten struck by lightning before," Jared bragged pretentiously.

Everyone turned to Jonah automatically for confirmation. Jonah shrugged. "Believe it or not, he's actually not lying about that."

"Well then the chances of it happening again are even smaller," Tyler explained.

"Way to ruin the mood, sport" Jared rolled his eyes.

Tyler was caught off guard by the sudden nickname.

"Let's all head out," Rachel insisted. "It seems we're all done eating anyway."

They grabbed their umbrellas, some of them having to share, and made their way through the rain and foggy atmosphere until they reached the school building where, by then, they were all soaking or near to it.

They weren't alone though. The students already in the halls along with the students coming in behind them were entering in drenched themselves.

"I might not have gotten struck by lighting, but if I end up getting a cold, I'm suing," Jared declared.

The students dispersed, some heading straight off to class. Jared laid eyes on Lucille and followed her to their chemistry class where she tried to avoid sitting next to him, but it just didn't work out.

"What?" Lucille stated more angrily than anyone would ever imagine her capable of.

"Why are you mad at me now?" Jared asked. "If anything, I'm the victim in this case."

"I'm not-I'm not mad," Lucille told him calmly.

"Then what's wrong?"

"Please don't act like you don't know."

Jared could hear the pain in her voice that time. The embarrassment and shame and regret that had occupied Lucille's mind and now emitted through her words.

"Well I'm not mad at you, in case you were wondering," Jared told her.

Lucille looked up at him and saw nothing in his eyes but the pleading that she'd just say something more.

But she didn't. Instead she just gave an affirmative nod and dropped her gaze once more. Jared leaned back in his chair and looked the other way and twirled his pencil in his hand while Lucille fiddled her thumbs.

"It wasn't bad."

Lucille stopped breathing for just a moment when she heard Jared mutter that, very softly, but obviously with the intention of being heard.

~~~~~
This is yet another chapter for you guys. Hopefully you enjoyed reading this, and here are the discussion questions.

What do you think is wrong with Niamh?

What might Jared have meant by that last statement he said?

Until next time, Aristocrats!