House of Hearings/House of Expulsion

On Monday, the Anubis residents were at the school, all of them in the theater classroom for the hearing. The chairs were set up so that Niamh and William sat in two chairs at the front while the rest of the students were positioned in the two rows set behind them. Mr. Rainier was sitting on the other side of the room, and the people who would be deciding were positioned on the stage: Mr. Owen, Mr. Carroway, and Mr. Duval who, since he was the teacher to occupy that classroom, was asked to be the tiebreaker.

Niamh and William turned back to the others.

"We're counting on you," Niamh whispered.

"We've got this," Rachel reassured. "Right guys?"

Before the others could answer, Mr. Owen cleared his throat to commence the hearing.

"It is to my understanding," he began, "that Miss Byrne and Mr. Lewis are facing the threat of expulsion. They have been cited of multiple offenses toward this school's policy, and we've had no choice but to hold this hearing. May it begin, that the party of Anubis house face the party of Mr. Rainier, the filer of the complaints. Mr. Rainier, make your argument."

Mr. Rainier cleared his throat and stood to his feet, pressing down his suit with his hands. He couldn't understand how he'd really be able to set the children up for expulsion, but he figured he'd already halfway done so. He still didn't want to reveal their offenses considering how much of a personal link it had to him, and so he weighed his options in his head.

"Mr. Rainier?" Mr. Owen repeated when Mr. Rainier failed to state anything.

Mr. Rainier suddenly realized the intensity of the situation. "You can't expel these children."

"I'm sorry...Eugene, you've very recently told me of the offenses these children have committed-has someone set you up to this?"

Mr. Rainier shook his head.

"Then make an argument."

Mr. Rainier froze in place. Jared stood up at the convenient time to intrude. "You heard him...sir." He addressed Mr. Owen. "If the person who made the complaint is now saying they shouldn't be expelled...well then who are you to have this go on any longer...sir..?"

"Who are you to speak when not asked?" Mr. Owen retaliated with a disdainful glare. "Sit down, boy."

Jared stood in place. "I'm sorry, mister, but I'm going to defend my friends."

"Me too," Lucille joined in as she stood proud to her feet.

"Sit. Down," Mr. Carroway bellowed in support of Mr. Owen.

"Sorry, sir." Lucille quickly dropped back to her seat.

"The children are right," Mr. Duval consulted. "I mean, I know they must have done something incredibly wrong to sit here and face expulsion, but every student deserves a second chance...Simply give them detention or something...I wouldn't like to see them go. And it seems, neither would their friends."

Some of the other students were now standing to their feet along with Jared.

"I believe they should be expelled," Mr. Carroway voiced.

"As do I," a Mr. Owen agreed sharply.

"Please," Sarah stressed to them all. She was up on her feet. "I don't know what their being blamed for, but they don't deserve this! They're our housemates; we haven't been here half a year, and you're already making this hard for them-and the rest of us! I'm so sorry to you Mr. Owen, Mr. Carroway...but you're wrong."

"I want them to stay," Mr. Rainier declared, staring Mr. Owen in the eyes.

Mr. Owen grunted before proceeding. He stood to his feet and overlapped his fingers. "This hearing is adjourned. Miss Byrne, Mr. Lewis, please see me after school for your official punishment, and Eugene-" he glared straight at Mr. Rainier, "-next time, don't waste the time of day."

He stormed out, as did Mr. Carroway, and after a final glance toward the children, Mr. Rainier left, himself. Mr. Duval hopped down from the stage and high-fives some of the children.

"It went well, eh?" he grinned at them all.

"I didn't expect you to be so happy," Niamh admitted. "You barely know us."

"You're my students," Mr. Duval explained. "I look forward to having the opportunity to do so." He nodded at them and left the classroom temporarily. All the students faced eachother.

"Thanks...guys," William smiled at them all. "I was almost certain Mr. Owen and Mr. Carroway would overrule everything. Do you know what my parents threatened me with if I ever was expelled? Homeschooling. I mean...who does that?"

Some of the others giggled while Lucille shrugged and admitted, "I was for about five years...Remember?"

William fell silent.

"Well your situation wouldn't have been nearly as bad as mine," Niamh admitted out of the blue.

"Oh, and what would that situation be?" Jared interrogated, eager to pry.

"Secret."

Niamh shrugged after saying that and started walking off. Jared caught up to her as the others dispersed as well, figuring they were responsible to head to class at that time.

"You at least have to thank me," Jared informed.

Niamh thought a bit. "No, thank you."

"But I did stand up for you," Jared reminded. "I vouched for you to stay and all."

"And you did a good job," Niamh mocked, turning to face him. She gave him a pat on the arm. "Why don't you live with the satisfaction of doing something right, and we move on." She shrugged and turned away.

"Pft," Jared shook his head. "I should've known."

Niamh paused yet again and turned back around. "Should have known...?"

"That you'd be this way. You know, I didn't have to do this."

"Oh really? Don't think I got the memo," she remarked sarcastically.

"I should have just let you get kicked from this school," Jared sighed. "You're nothing good to it anyway." He shook his head and headed in the opposite direction, and in that moment, Niamh actually took that statement to heart.

~~~~~
Hey, sorry I haven't updated in two or three days. Nevertheless, another chapter has come which I really hope you enjoy. And now, here are the discussion questions:

What do you think would've happened to Niamh if she was expelled?

Who do you think is right between Jared and Niamh? (In case you didn't understand, Jared believes he deserves a thanks for defending Niamh; Niamh believes he doesn't deserve anything from her.)

That's all for now. Until next time, Aristocrats!