House of Pasts/House of Arson

"I'm a genius," Jared chimed in a sing-song voice, waving the riddle around in his hand and greeting Lucille and Sarah in their room at Anubis house.

"You got the answer to the riddle?" Sarah asked excitedly.

"The gods this riddle is apparently linking to," Jared shrugged, handing her the slip of paper. Sarah unfolded it and read off the names aloud, all of them next to the lines associated with them.

"So everything down in that tunnel will have to do with them," Lucille figured. "Have you told Jonah already?"

"Yep," Jared confirmed.

"Should we go down tonight?" Lucille directed this question toward Sarah.

"Um..." Sarah hesitated to think for a moment and then pointed down to the notebook on her lap. "Homework."

"Maybe sometime this weekend?" Lucille suggested.

Jared and Sarah were on board for that idea.

~~~~~
While Rachel was gone from their room, Niamh had invited William up to show him the research of the Frobisher-Smythes. They discovered a bit of information about Robert and Louisa, such as how they were the original residents of Anubis house, and how they were Egyptologists. They were part of some expedition of King Tut's tomb in the 1920s and were believed to have stolen artifacts from those tombs. They had a daughter, Sarah, and not much information was given about her other than that she was born in 1915.

"What made him so interested in Egyptologists?" Niamh asked aloud.

"Maybe there's something more about them then what we're seeing here," William shrugged. "Mr. Rainier seemed fascinated in them, and he seemed to correlate them with 'mystery' in this house."

"I really want to figure out more about Mr. Rainier's old museum job and the fire and lawsuit and whatever else happened," Niamh declared.

"Try searching about a burnt down museum...maybe it'll come up."

Niamh typed in something to that liking and scrolled through the results to find anything worth exploring. There was an article on the subject matter-it was explaining a situation with the Liverpool Museum of Ancient Egyptian Science and Technology that took place two years prior. Apparently the museum was burned down with only the curator inside(his/her name left unrevealed), who suffered minimal smoke inhalation as the police and firemen did arrive quickly. They were charged with arson and sentenced to a trial, not only due to their person being found on-site, but also due to the six words authorities overheard having been said: "Destroy it. Destroy all the evidence."

They weren't found guilty of the crime, but their curator license had been revoked and a restraining order had been issued by the woman overhead the Board of Directors.

Without word, Niamh opened a new tab and quickly keyed in the museum to find who the last curator had been, and surely enough the name was Eugene Rainier, having been curator from 2031-2037.

"Mr. Rainier burned down the museum," Niamh concluded as she shut her laptop slowly and looked up at William.

"It could've been someone else," William suggested.

"It only makes sense. He wanted to destroy evidence. He was the only one found on-site. And now he's come here, from an Egyptian museum to a school with its own Egyptian history, and-and he's starting a new life...I don't trust this guy."

"We can't be so quick to assume-"

"-then we ask him," Niamh insisted. "We show him what we found, and we demand he tell us or...or we'll report him to the headmaster."

"You're really serious about this, aren't you?"

"Of course I am."

Mr. Rainier had been just outside the door, his ear resting on the wood as he listened to the majority of what they were saying. He avoided making noise as he realized pieces of his past were coming back to haunt him, and there was nothing he could do about.

~~~~~
Tyler and Rachel were taking a walk together at Tyler's request, and he explained to her about his day, especially about his encounter with Jared.

"He was asking me about this really strange Egyptian riddle, and I'm not sure what it's all really about," Tyler shrugged.

"Is it really anything to worry about?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know, but-"

Tyler was suddenly caught off guard by a bump against his shoulder and a man hurrying on past them, as if he didn't see them. His hands covered his mouth, and he seemed agitated.

"Mr. Rainier?" Rachel questioned.

Mr. Rainier stopped in his tracks and turned around, his eyes falling on both of the children. He lowered his hand and feigned a smile the best he could.

"Hello."

"Are you alright?" Rachel inquired.

"Just...busy. Busy, is all." He gave a slight nod and continued off in the direction he was headed.

Rachel and Tyler looked over at eachother and just shrugged it off even though deep down, they were still a bit worried about what they had seen.

~~~~~
Alright, here is the chapter for you all! I hope you enjoyed it! It's getting pretty intense with Mr. Rainier and there's so much more to unravel. Also, I just thought about bringing up the fact that I imagine Eddie Redmayne as Mr. Rainier, in case you wanted to know. Also, yes, this story is that far into the future, relative to the show and my other fanfics I have done.

Anyway, here are the discussion questions.

What evidence might Mr. Rainier have wanted to destroy?

Do you think Niamh and William will be able to confront him?

And that's all for now. Until next time, Aristocrats!