House of Operations/House of Reveals

Jared and William eventually went down to the cellar one morning just before school since Jared had the locket in order to take the route through the bread oven. They spotted the bags and the book still on the table and were about to grab them when they heard the cellar door unlocking.

"Hide," Jared whispered to William.

Jared hurried into the shadowy area just underneath the staircase, and William panicked and followed him. They listened as the stairs creaked over them.

"Who's down here?" Mr. Rainier asked. "Jared? William? Is that you? I haven't seen either of you at breakfast..."

Mr. Rainier checked at the table to assure everything was safe and headed back up. As soon as the cellar was clear, Jared pushed William out before him.

"Dangerously close, dude," Jared warned him.

They went to the table and since they had seen what Ptah's staff looked like, they removed the corresponding pieces, and William stuffed them in his bag.

"The house won't be safe to store anything, so I can trust you to keep those safe, right?" Jared asked William.

"I'll protect them with my life."

"Great, well-" Jared checked his phone, "-now we wait till the others head to the school."

Eventually the Anubis residents wrapped up breakfast and headed to the school building except Sarah and Jonah who waited in the kitchen as planned. Jared and William had the two bags and the book in their possession, just as planned.

"Are we all clear with the plan?" Sarah checked. "Operation 'Get Lucy Back'."

Jonah and Jared confirmed they were, but William just hoped that he did.

"William, what exactly is the plan?" Jonah asked him specifically.

"Uh, you and Jared go to Mr. Harvey's place to find Lucy; meanwhile, Sarah and I go to the school and hold down the fort...Yeah, I got it," William nodded.

"'Hold down the fort'," Jared repeated, chuckling to himself.

"The cover story is that Jonah got into a really bad accident, and Jared is with him at the hospital," Sarah reminded. "Okay. Sibuna." Sarah held up her right hand over her eye, and the others did the same.

Jared and Jonah left out the back through the laundry room while Sarah and William headed out the front, William clutching his bag for dear life.

They eventually arrived to the school, just in time for class, where they sat next to eachother in chemistry. When Ms. Staffer asked where Jonah and Jared were, Sarah gave the story, and the teacher thanked her, likely believing it.

Once class ended, Niamh made it her priority to catch up with and squeeze in between Sarah and William. "So...where are Jonah and Jared?"

"L-like I said-" Sarah began.

"-like you said," Niamh repeated, cutting her off, "-that was a complete lie, so entertain me." She walked out ahead of them and turned to face them. "William, aren't you my best friend? You have to let me know."

"Uh-" he glanced over at Sarah. "I-uh..."

"Is it about Lucille?" Niamh interrogated. "I know she's been kidnapped, and I can help...you know, find her."

Sarah pulled William away briefly. "Niamh. Offering help?"

William thought for a moment. He figured she could genuinely want to help, or she was just doing this for the sake of spending more time with him as a friend. And then he latched onto the idea that she was concerned and still cared for Jared; after all, they had developed a certain relationship recently, and he was aware she still had feelings for him. He found himself torn between allowing her in or protecting Jared and Lucille's standing relationship, especially since Lucille was also a really good friend. He finally figured that Niamh wouldn't be one to intentionally tear any relationship apart, and she had a right to know considering they were dealing with her brother.

"We have to tell her. I'm going to tell her," William whispered too quickly for Sarah to respond to before he turned toward Niamh and revealed, "Lucille has been kidnapped by Rusk. Your step-brother."

~~~~~
Jonah and Jared walked over to Mr. Harvey's living quarters and stood at the door for just a moment as they prepared themselves. Jonah planned to hide out of sight as Jared would present Rusk with everything.

"If I get into any trouble," Jared began, "I need you to jump in front of me and shield me from any sort of bodily harm."

"E-excuse me?" Jonah furrowed his brows. "You're the Osirion; you're the protector."

"What good is a protector if he's dead?"

"So you're saying you'd rather have me die?"

"Well for the good of the world-"

They heard the door click and watched as the door swung open, revealing Rusk.

"So you've arrived. And I see you've brought double the trouble."

Rusk had the two of them bring the bags inside along with the book, and he slowly shut the door behind them, locking it as well. The two of them glanced at eachother but tried not to panic as they set the bags on the table. Jonah set eyes on the countertop where Rusk's gun rested, and he watched as Rusk casually took it into his hand and set it in a drawer.

"Please, have a seat, boys. Nobody's here to get hurt." Rusk stated this calmly as he gestured to the couches where Jonah and Jared reluctantly sat. Rusk offered the twins some refreshments, but both of them refused.

Rusk went into the kitchen anyway and brought out a tray of cups and a kettle anyway. "Just in case." He set it to the side.

He then reached to the bags and unzipped them both appearing impressed with the contents of either bag.

"It's funny; there was almost this moment where I doubted you'd actually bring the artifacts," Rusk chuckled maniacally. "Feeble-minded children." He shook his head with a smirk spread across his face as he lifted up the book and quickly flipped through the pages. "And the actual book. I'd thank you, but...I just won't."

"Where's Lucille?" Jared asked.

"Sorry?" Rusk responded.

"I brought you what you wanted; now where's Lucille?"

"Down there," Rusk pointed to the cellar door.

Jared scrambled onto his feet and to the door, shaking it it with all his might, but there was no defying that it was locked. He leaned his head against the door.

Rusk came over with the key, unlocking it for him. Jonah stood to his feet and turned to watch. Just before either Rusk or Jared headed down, Jared turned back to Jonah, his face out of Rusk's view, and as he spoke to Jonah, he glanced between him, the door, and the book on the table.

"Just wait here," Jared told him slowly. "I'll be right back up."

Jonah caught on with the message.

~~~~~
And that is the chapter for you all. I really hope you enjoyed it and here are the discussion questions:

Do you think Niamh should be involved with Sibuna? (I've probably asked this before)

Do you think Jonah and Jared's plan will continue to go well?

Or as well as it can be with Rusk involved and all...Anyway, that's all for now. Until next time, Aristocrats!