House of Books/House of Members

During school the next day, an announcement was made from the headmaster's office that parent's day would be coming up soon in November, along with the school's theater production. Just as the announcement was being made, Lucille found Jared in the hallway and stumbled with her stack of books in hand over to him.

She dropped them into his hands.

"What're you doing?" Jared asked her.

"Helping you."

Jared blinked and then glanced down at the books in his hands. He looked at the cover of the first book and was able to decipher what the letters really spelled out, even if it hadn't exactly appeared that way.

"A dictionary...sounds riveting," Jared remarked sarcastically.

"Ha, ha," Lucille faked a laugh. "But I'm serious. We need to do something."

Jared shut his locker with his back and headed down the hall, Lucille keeping up by his side.

"This isn't the way to help me, Lucille," Jared admitted when he realized she wouldn't stop following. "Haven't you ever heard of starting small? Dr. Seuss would do nicely, thank you very much."

"I just want this to work, you know?"

Jared stopped in his tracks and faced her. "Well it's my brain, not yours. And I know how it works better than you so please-" he dropped the books back into her hands, "-Green Eggs and Ham will be greatly appreciated."

He walked off into chemistry class.

~~~~~
During chemistry class, just as Ms. Staffer was walking in, William whispered over to Niamh, "You don't think she's in on this who secret society thing too, do you?"

"Can't say," Niamh replied truthfully.

Ms. Staffer began class almost immediately. "So, as you all know, parent's day is fast approaching, and rather than your traditional chemistry lesson, the headmaster has asked me to talk with you all about it."

She went on to explain how the day would go, from when the parents first arrive either that day or the night before, and how students will be allowed to spend extra time with their parents as long as they sign out of their house. The theater production would happen that night for the parents and students to attend, and by the next day, it would all be over. All the parents were already notified, so they'd know what to expect upon arriving.

After class, the entire Sibuna gang left altogether, and Tyler gathered his things quickly to follow close behind. He listened in on all they were saying as they walked through the halls.

"So far, this doesn't make any sense," Jonah declared referencing the most recent riddle, little to Tyler's knowledge.

"Maybe we should ask Tyler or Rachel again?" Jared suggested.

"If we're really going to resort to them for everything, we might as well invite one of them into the group," Lucille pointed out.

"Lucy's right," Sarah stated. "Maybe we should just solve this one ourselves."

"Actually," Lucille responded, "I was thinking we actually do bring one of them in. One more Sibuna member can't hurt."

Sarah opened her mouth to retaliate, but Tyler suddenly stepped forward and announced to them, "I'll do it."

The four turned to face him and realized he'd been listening in on their conversation. He had a slight smile on his face, and he seemed eager to be involved, but that really could've just been the intention of uncovering the secrets for his own benefit. Either way, the Sibuna gang was considering allowing him to join.

"Where do I start?"

~~~~~
After school, rehearsal for the play lasted for a while, and during that time, Niamh was backstage, helping paint one of the sets. William found her and sat down next to where she was kneeling. She took a break and placed the brush in the paint can.

"I thought you were on props," William admitted.

"Yeah, but apparently 'budget cuts'-" Niamh made finger quotations, "-mean double duty. So I'm on set design as well."

"Lucille could do this," William claimed. "She's quite the artist."

"If only she signed up and I wouldn't have to paint...grass."

William noticed the current part of the scenery Niamh was working on was just a plain of green with a few spikes sprouting up here and there.

"William," Rachel called from the stage. He waved to Niamh and headed over. Rachel continued, "Mr. Duval wants us to practice the 'give me my sin again' scene."

"Th-the first kiss scene."

Rachel chuckled. "If you'd like to call it that. But don't worry; we won't have to kiss really until the night of the play."

"Right..." William trailed as he watched Rachel get into position.

He did the same and went through with the rehearsal.

Later, as rehearsal wrapped up, Rachel asked that William walk back to the house with her. Niamh was in their vicinity, and William glanced over at her grabbing her bag. She looked back at him and nodded for him to go. Rachel took notice.

"I have a bit more clearing up to do anyway," Niamh shrugged. "You two deserve some alone time." Niamh headed backstage giving a final wink at William.

William laughed nervously as he and Rachel turned to head out. They walked across the school grounds side-by-side, and before Rachel began speaking, she brushed her curls away from her face.

"So...I notice you and Niamh are really close," she began. "I guess it's kind of nice."

William thought about that for a moment and then caught on to what she really meant. "N-no! We're just...friends. She likes Jared, anyway."

"That's weird...You told me she really hated him a few days ago."

"Oh...you know girls. A bit crazy," William laughed awkwardly until he realized what he just said and to whom he said it. Rachel chuckled softly herself though. William continued, "Anyway, I kind of have my eyes set on someone else as well."

"Really?" Rachel asked, suddenly interested. They stopped just outside Anubis house and faced eachother. "Who? Does she stay in Anubis house?"

William smiled at her shyly. He didn't know how to come right out and tell her that it was in fact her, but he was grateful for sharing this moment with her.

"Something like that."

~~~~~
And that is the chapter for you all! Are William and Rachel just driving you crazy? Hmm, well besides them, here are some discussion questions until the next chapter.

Should Tyler be a member of Sibuna?

Do you think Rachel likes William back?

Until next time, Aristocrats!