Chapter 60

Harry's POV

I can't focus on rehearsal anymore. Ever since I got the text from Allie about Robert, my mind is jumbled. I feel terrible for Barbara, and I know Allie is upset as well, which makes me upset.

"Harry what's wrong?" Liam asks me as I put my phone back in my bag.

I sigh. "It's Allie. She texted me that her friend Barbara, remember the old lady I told you about, the one she's been walking with every afternoon at the park? Her husband passed away last night. Allie met her at the park and I guess she's pretty upset, obviously. So Allie took her to our flat, Barbara doesn't want to go home. I just feel bad. And you know Allie, she cares about everyone around her and wants to make everyone happy, and I know she's feeling helpless because she can't do anything for her friend." I hate that I can't be there for her, for both of them.

"Do you need to take off?"

"Nah, Allie said to just come home when we're done. I may cut out just a bit early though." He pats my shoulder and has a sympathetic look on his face. It's weird, I don't know Robert or Barbara for that matter, but I can't help and feel sad. I guess when anyone dies it's a sad thing, but knowing how close Allie has grown to Barbara in the past few days, I know she must be feeling bad too. And then it makes you put it in your own perspective, how would I feel if something were to happen to my loved one? God, if something were to ever happen to Allie I honestly don't know what I'd do. I couldn't imagine spending a day without her. And for Barbara, her and Robert have been together for over 50 years. I imagine after that long you almost become the same person, you become one. My breath catches in my throat just thinking about something happening to Allie. I suddenly feel like I could throw up. I walk away from the guys and over to the side of the gym and sit against the wall, taking a drink of my water. I have to get my mind back on track, there's no point in working myself up over something that's not going to happen. I take a few deep breaths, take another sip of my water, then head back to the guys.

"You alright mate? Liam told us about Allie's friend..." Zayn puts his arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah I'm good. I just feel bad for them is all. Let's get back to it..." We were just about to start our workout before I got the text, so I get back on the treadmill, shove my ear buds in and turn up my music. The whole while I'm wondering what Barbara and Allie are doing at our flat, I picture them both sitting together just crying, and wondering what I'm going to say when I get home. What do you say? I'm sorry? I always thought that was a weird thing to tell people when their loved one dies. You're sorry. Like it was your fault or something. But that's the one thing everyone says, and that's the only thing I can think of to say when I see her as well. Another thing people always say is how it's going to be ok. How do you know it's going to be ok? I'm sure eventually, yeah, it'll be ok. But I know if something happened to Allie and someone told me it will be ok, I'd punch them in the throat. Because that would be the one time that it wouldn't be ok. Ever. It would never be ok if she was gone, I don't care how much time passed. I'd be heartbroken forever after that. I have to stop thinking about this. I run faster, I turn up the speed so I'm practically sprinting on the treadmill. I reach for my phone and turn the volume up louder to quiet my loud breathing.

Allison's POV

We sit silently on the balcony drinking our tea. I'm still not sure what to say, so I just sit quietly, glancing over to her once in a while out of the corner of my eye. A tear falling every so often as she wipes it away, she stays staring forward out into the sky. I wonder what she's thinking. I find myself making very awkward comments like "Ooh, hot..." as I take a sip of my hot tea. As soon as I say something lame like that, I curse myself for saying something so stupid. God, please help me comfort Barbara. Give me the right words to say. I pray to myself for guidance.