Chapter 42-Concede

July 4th, 2304

Today is a historic day. In 1776, this very day, the Declaration of Independence was signed by the United States against the tyranny of Great Britain. Currently, this fight symbolizes our own Declaration of Independence.

Every player in this world is celebrating—a lot of us from the States, the rest joining the festive bandwagon. The NPC's are all confused about the spontaneous celebration, but as a party is a party; the more the merrier.

Before we join the massive party in the great hall of the guild house, we have to do a boring progress report meeting. Boring but necessary.

I take the throne at the end of the long table and put my feet up. When you're living head-to-toe in heavy metal battle armor and head-to-toe in chainmail under that—coming home to the sweet, soft, relaxing feel of silk is probably the most rewarding part of coming home.

"Alright," I begin. "I think we are doing well, but we can do better."

"After the disaster we call Aries, I feel like we improved a lot," Essej adds.

"The thing I'm pissed about is the death rate. After Aries, we reduced it by a shit ton, but too many of our guys are getting killed in action," I say bluntly. I also didn't mention that I can't sleep at night. Shit eats me up inside. I'm responsible for everyone who steps on that battlefield, and men dying isn't just part of the job. These are real people with real hopes and dreams and families and friends outside this world. People that they're trying to get back to in one piece. I can't just throw that aside. Right now, someone who cared about those people is mourning. I feel guilty for what happened to them, whether it was a bad call on my part or combat on their part. Whether they were there for the thrill of adventure, or to die for the cause, no one deserved death.

"Maybe, like, it's just the experience. We've fought, like, way more battles than those noobs," Rachel suggests.

"But they've fought as many obsidian gods to get to gem rank as we have, but then Rachel brings up a good point. They haven't fought as many demigods as we have," Mack says.

"Yeah, that's true. When we come back, they start training for the two months, and we expect them to be as ready as we are," Sess adds.

"We should have a training program for them instead of letting them go at it alone," Cecelia suggests.

"Yeah, select specific bosses from each region that can be of learning benefit," Alo agrees.

"OK, we found the problem and now for the solution: choosing demigods for the noobs to go at it with," I begin.

"Anyone wanna take it to the board?" Havanna asks.

I scoff. "Waaayyy too comfortable," I reply. It feels like I'm on a cloud in these silk garments.

"Since you asked, I guess you can take it to the board," Pranav suggests. We laugh. Havanna sighs and heads to the board.

"I was joking, but since you're the only one up I guess you have to," Pranav says.

"Whatever, I volunteered myself," Havanna retaliates. The board is kind of the same thing as a whiteboard, except the marker is your finger. She draws five rows and labels them with the five regions accordingly, then draws five more rows below.

"OK, Frost region. What do you guys think?" she asks.

"Frost King," half of us say. Cecelia, Rachel, Alo, and Sess vote for the Winter Guardian Golem.