We need forgiveness ourselves

Zak POV..

I smiled down looking at Maria wrapped around my body, our legs entwined together, her brunette hair reflected the sunlight softly. She wasn't asleep from the way she played with my fingers and removed my rings to put them on her fingers.

I knew she loved my thumb ring, when I asked why she never knew.

Music from the RV radio played quietly giving us a little slice of relaxation before it was down to business and hard work. This was our down time.

I slipped my hand away and cupped her face, my thumb traced over the scar on her cheek gently.

She grumbled and pulled my hand away "I wish you'd stop doing that."

"Sorry." I mumbled.

"I know, you've told me a million times.. I've forgiven you. Forgive yourself." She replied.

That's one thing I'd never do.

"You do.. Don't you?" She asked lifting her head up.

I met her brown eyes and struggled to answer, I wouldn't lie to her face. My eyes went to her cheek, that I had scarred in a rage one day.

"Zak. You do forgive yourself.. Don't you?" Maria asked.

"I ca- I can't. I'll always hold it against myself." I answered honestly.

She sat up on her knees, her hair curtained one side of her face as it fell perfectly.

"But I thought.. You can't hold that too. Come on give me a break." She frowned concerned.

"I'm working on it."

"As well as everything else." She sighed looking away. Maria moved away and pulled out her earphones. I knew what was going to happen.

"Ri.."

"Ju- don't worry." She mumbled.

"Ri, I am trying b-"

"I'm fine." She answered pushing them into her ears.  And like that she cut me as well as the rest of the world off.

Nice one idiot.

I threw my arm over my face pushing away the annoyance at myself. I touched her back but she got off the bed and walked over to the table pulling out lockdown packs and reviewing them.

I looked at her as she went through every piece of paper. I thought that we were going okay but it seemed that there was still some residue from home left lingering around.

If I had to have a meeting Maria would sit outside then be in the house alone. I would often find her sat by the pool with earphones in kicking the water gently when I came home.

I guess with her ballsy attitude I just presumed that she would be able to handle it. I never considered it to be too much for her..

But demons were clever, they worked you down in ways that you never thought would effect you, and once they had got in... It was hard to get them out.

What terrified me the most was when she was scratched.. That's when I knew shit was hitting the fan and that even I after 10 years of doing paranormal investigating was over my head. But what I did have was a trump card to this..

I had contacts, I had a demonologists at my disposal, priests, bishops, a team of specialists and a scientist.

I just felt useless in being able to protect her myself.

*********

We arrived at the hotel at night, Maria hopped out to sort rooms whilst Bacon parked up the RV around the back of the place.