I don't want to miss a thing

When the moment came to holding Theo I had an overwhelming sense of fear and couldn't do it.

"I- what if I hurt him?" I asked Zak as he sat on the chair and pulled me down on his lap.

"You won't, you're as gentle as a lamb. Just hold you hands out." He replied.

I did as I was told and found myself to be physically shaking whilst a nurse carefully handed Theo over.

"That's right, support his head and his bum... There we go." She spoke softly removing her hands completely as he laid in mine.

"I- Zak I'm holding him." I whispered and had his hand support mine under Theo's head. A surge of energy raced in through my body and I was overwhelmed with love for the little nipper.

"Our little boy look." He whispered.

Theo opened his mouth, showing his little tongue. "Oh." I whispered smiling down at him.

"Okay?" The nurse asked making me nod.

I leant back against Zak holding Theo as Aaron took a photo. "You make a cute family. Check it out bro! You're the daddy!" He laughed showing us the photo as Zak hushed him.

"Oops. Sorry."

"He's quiet the sleeper, you're going to be one of the lucky moms." The nurse smiled whilst she changed his incubator sheets.

"I wouldn't care if he had me up every 5 minutes. As long as he's healthy." I answered.

"You know? That's one answer I haven't heard from any parent in all the years I've done this. They always say 'Hope they sleep through the night, I'm shattered already.' But they are newborns." She replied.

"No, I want it all. Sleepless nights and nonstop crying. As long as he is well."

"I agree." Zak replied looking at him.

"I think you should meet daddy.." I whispered to Theo causing Zak to stiffen.

"Ri I don't know if I can." He worried looking at his hands.

"Of course you can. Watch." I carefully passed him over and stood back as Zak held him like a bomb.

"Give him a cuddle then." I urged, my arms where aching already to have him back in them.

"He's the size of my forearm.." Zak laughed lightly moving him closer to his chest. My whole heart wanted to explode from what I was seeing.

"Hey little dude, I'm your daddy." Zak spoke bringing tears to my eyes. "You gotta keep doing what your doing and grow up big and strong. Like me. Not so much Aaron cause he's all scrawny now. I'm going to teach you so many things and be the father I never had. And don't even get me started on your mom. She's the most beautifulest woman I've ever seen. She's an angel so I know you will always be in safe hands. I said some pretty awful things a while ago and I take them back... I take it all back and I just let you know that I love you so much." He whispered kissing Theo's forehead.

After we sat with Theo for an hour it was time to put him back in before he got too cold.

"Goodnight my little man." Zak whispered placing him down gently.

"The hatches on the incubator? As long as hands have been sterilised you're welcome to start opening them and holding his hands." The nurse smiled before leaving us.

I was straight there washing my hands right up to my elbows before sitting down and putting my hand through the small hatch to hold his. As I looked up I saw my small lucky rabbit placed up in the corner of his incubator.