The force of Love

If Zak wasn't sick you could bet a bottom dollar I would have beat his ass until I gave birth.

I was sat in the lounge as Aaron looked after him whilst I spoke with Ellen. Her disapproving look at me only confirmed that she had no idea about Carmel.

"So.." She spoke placing her tea down and looking at me. "How far gone are you?" She asked.

"F-five months." I stuttered.

"Five?!" She screeched before covering her mouth.. "I'm sorry. You said five. As in 1,2,3,4 5."

I nodded.

"I- how?! How am I only just finding out about this?!" She asked. I could have given her a straight answer, told her that her son is a idiot and a complete chicken shit..

"I only found out last month... The night before we went to Carmel, the day of the crash... I told Zak after he proposed to me. I had no idea until the hospital told me, this wasn't planned Ellen. A few months before I took a test, just had a feeling. It was negative, I didn't take another one. But the test... It wasn't entirely negative, I had a faint line. But I was so disappointed I didn't bother doing another."

"When did you plan on telling me?" She asked.

I could see it now, she wasn't angry, this was Ellen.. Hurt that we kept something as big as a grandchild from her.

"Zak didn't take the news well.. He uh-"

"Don't.. Don't say it." She answered holding her hand up.

"I was upset so I went to see my mum and dad. I just wanted time alone, to think this all through. I came back 2 days ago, Ellen your son isn't ready to be a father. I understand that, I also know it's hard for him to accept that I won't be the Maria he wants anymore. My priorities have changed, I can't be care free and live a life in a case like they do every other week. I'm going to be a mom. You know how your life changes."

"You're here now."

"Because I saw him yesterday whilst shopping. He wanted to talk, I came over last night to him having a night terro-"

"He lied to me.." She sighed looking away.

"About?"

"He said they had stopped. He told me that he was sleeping properly again. You left and well.. It- let's just say he hasn't been himself. The house has been a mess, him and Cece came to blows. She was storming out as I walked in one day."

"What?" I whispered in shock. Cece was placid, the most genuine caring person that I've come to know in Vegas besides the crew. She is trustworthy as well as discreet, one of the reasons Zak employs her.

"I don't suppose you've seen his office?" She asked making me shake my head.....

---

"What the hell has he been doing?" I asked stepping into destruction, you couldn't see the top of the desk and I knew there was one under the mound of paperwork.

"Meet Zak without Maria." Ellen spoke behind me as I walked over and picked up paperwork.

"T- this is all work stuff? He's been to work?" I asked.

"Holiday only lasted a week. He came straight back with lockdowns.. Aaron not said anything?"

"No."

"Hmm.. Back to back. I'm surprised they drove home. Zak was dead on his feet but as soon as he tried to sleep... The nightmares would start and he would end up walking the house or community at all hours." She replied.