Sleep talker

The water filled my nose, it became hard to see under the water and my lungs fought hard against the need to breathe in. I was pulled up making me cough and splutter.

"See what you've done." He snarled in my ear.

"S-stop! I'm sorry!"

"Too late.."

My face hit the water again.

I could see myself, I could see him.. Holding my head under the water with his face twisted in anger. My arms thrashing around to pull myself up but the splashing water and my wet hands found it impossible to grip anything. I could see and feel the burning sensation on the back of my head as his hand was knotted in my hair.

I was brought back up to face him.

"You're dead."

-------

I sat up right in the darkness panting hard. I looked around trying to find Zak when the lamp beside me switched on and he sat at the end looking concerned.

My eyes landed on his hands and my wet clothes.

"When were you going to tell me?" He asked hurt. I opened my mouth to speak but I closed it again.

"I find out... As you're asleep that these demons tried to drown you."

"I'm sorry."

"DO NOT! Apologise." He snapped making me jump and pull my knees to my chest.

"When. Were you going to tell me?"
He asked again.

"After they went."

"GOD DAMN IT MARIA!" He yelled throwing the clothes on the ground.

"What did I tell you?! That we have to talk! We have to communicates because they will destroy anything in their paths! Us included!"

"I-"

"You should have rang me! To think I came back here as said how proud I was of you! You lied to me! To my face!"

"I was trying to protect you!" I cried looking away from him.

"I don't need protecting! I know how this all works! It's my job!"

"Well you're not superman! You can't do it all Zak! Relationships are two way! You fight for me! I fight for you! It's how it goes!"

"Not against this." He growled.

"I thought I was doing the right thing..."

"By lying to me?" He asked.

"By standing up to them and not showing fear." I mumbled.

Zak rubbed his forehead and took my hand "When this..." He gestured to the clothes on the floor.

"When something like this happens? You tell me instantly! Do you understand me?" He asked.

I nodded "Yes, I'm sorry."

"I don't want you to be sorry. I want you to be safe Maria."