Tunnels, inmates and Interviews.

We walked back to the main office of the prison where Melanie informed us that there was an underground tunnel where visitors have been scratched. Zak never one to shy away from a challenge asked to go straight over and walk down the tunnel to call the spirits out.

I stayed above ground, with my track record of scratches... I didn't want to risk it right now.

Eventually we made it to the main office where Melanie informed us about the inmates using the inmate processing book to show us a photo of the inmates which were notable. It also held their information on why they were in prison, information on their family and their release dates.. to the very date.  I stayed close by the crew and actually bumped into Jay before apologising quietly. Zak's hearing was sharp and heard me mumble my apology. I kept my head low not wanting to see his eyes worried or concerned.

Turkey Pete was one of the colourful characters behind the walls of Montana state prison, sentenced to life in 1918, Turkey Pete was described as a model prisoner and was placed in charge of the prison turkey flock. Turkey Pete developed dementia and after losing touch with reality he 'sold' the entire flock to a stranger for 25 cents a bird beginning a new career as the prison entrepreneur. At the age of 89 Turkey Pete died in 1967 after 49 years behind bars. After his death, cell number 1 was retired from use and converted into a barber shop. Turkey Pete's funeral was the only funeral ever held within the walls of the prison.

Larry Cheadle, was one inmate I was interested to hear about. Upon learning about the location we had and the lack of sleep I had from the demons... To try and keep myself in bed and let Zak sleep I worked. I found a newspaper article dated Friday February 23, 1968 from The Milwaukee Journal that did an article on his death in the whole. His death report was never made public which caused a stir leading to his mother to ask questions. As soon as Zak woke I ploughed him with the information from the article and when I looked at him he simply smiled, stated that he loved me and cuddled up to be before falling back to sleep.

Melanie explained that on Halloween in 1966 Larry asked to be placed in the hole, 8 hours later he was found believed to have been cooked to death from the blistering heat inside the hole. I knew an autopsy report said Cheadle may have died from heart failure or epilepsy but his mother cleared up rumors stating he had no history of epilepsy and was only turned down from the prison boxing team because of a heart murmur.  The autopsy report also said that there was froth about Cheadle's mouth, blood on his nostrils and fluid in his lungs. There were no other marks on his body.

Holding a photo Melanie spoke about a prison called Stanley Dean Baker convicted of murder and ate the mans heart in 1970. It was also let to believe that whilst he served his time in Montana state prison that he also practised Devil worshipping. Stanley Dean Baker was later released in 1979 on parole.

I turned after learning the information and found that our next interviewee had arrived, Marlene Olmstead's father was 1 of 7 superintendents of the prison her mother also worked within the prison walls. I sat with Marlene and found her to be one of the easiest guests that we've had, the lady accepted the questions she was going to be asked after I made it clear that she could refuse any she didn't like. But with a thumbs up we conducted her interview outside the office in where Ted Rothe was shot and killed.

From Marlene we learned we learned of the last of the inmates who were Jerry Myles  and Lee Smart the two men who started the 1959 riot.

In 1958 top dog Jerry Myles fell from his reign when newly appointed deputy Ted Rothe took over the prison. Jerry threatened Ted and was sentenced to a month in the hole. Upon his release Jerry Myles planned and spearheaded the riot along with his partner Lee Smart who later killed Deputy Warden Ted Rothe.

The riot lasted for a tense three days where 18 hostages were taken. Marlene spoke about the day her friend who was Ted Rothe's daughter and herself were plucked from High school and taken to the prison.

On the 3rd morning of the riot at roughly 4.30 am Marlene and her mother woke from a loud explosion and later learned that a World War 2 style bazooka had been fired across the yard in an attempt to kill Lee Smart and Jerry Myles. The damage of the bazooka was still evident in the tower today. Both men died in the tower, but not from the bazooka. Both men died in suicide, it was believed Lee Smart shot and killed Jerry Myles before turning the gun on himself.

After our interview ended with Marlene we did a small walk across the prison to the tower and climbed it to see the last spot in which both men died.

I checked my watch and left quietly nodding to Aaron on the way out letting him know I was going as our last interviewee was due to arrive.

Don Deyott was a former Montana state employee and had 33 years of service with the prison. Wheelchair bound I conducted the pre-interview stage and later pushed him around the prison. We met with the crew and in the yard Zak conducted the last interview.  Don informed us that when he first started the older inmates, they were good people to work along side with, until the drug scene hit the prison that it went to a younger group who were more violent and more educated. We learned that he himself had been a victim of some attacks from the inmates. Zak asked for his opinion on whether he thought the prison was haunted. Don said he has heard people talk about it, and one officer didn't like going to the theatre because he believed that is where Turkey Pete was believed to reside.

Montanta state prison was in service for 108 years, I believed there was no doubt a prison this old held some residual energy and hauntings. Hangings were also held within the prison walls and soon a mobile construction of the gaols was responsible for all the hangings throughout the state of Montana. It's last resting place was in the Prison's Theatre.

We finished up interviews, I left the crew to film B-roll and reviewed what information I had wrote down back at the SUV.

The x- cameras were going to be placed in the 1912 cell block, the hole, theatre and last but not least the underground tunnel.

I sat on the hood of the car with my head low reading when I noticed a pair of feet, I looked up to see Zak waiting for me to speak.

"Hey you." I smiled.

"What happened in there?" He asked.

I shook my head "What do you mean?"

"Almost falling from the third floor? Crying and then walking into Jay. Are you feeling okay? Is it this place?" He asked pushing his hand on my forehead.

"What's up?" Aaron asked coming over.

"Nothing, I'm fine. Zak it's nothing. I just got a little freaked seeing that Cell."

"And the angel?" Aaron asked making me look over at him. He seen it too it would seem.

"I don't know.. I didn't realise I was crying." I frowned not understanding that one myself. Zak seemed satisfied with my answers and lifted me off the hood of the car.

"Let's get some lunch, do some more research and get a nap in before lockdown tonight?" He suggested as I yawned.

"Sounds good." I answered.

"Yeah.. If you two actually slept." Aaron muttered.

"Don't be a wet blanket bro.. Nothing wrong with being in love. We are both happy." Zak responded and climbed in the back with me to my surprise. I smiled and shuffled over to his side of the car leaning against him.

I fell asleep at some stage on the way back to the hotel with Zak's hypnotic fingers buried into my hair.