Genesis Rhapsodos

FINALLY – the story begins :3

DON'T SKIP - important stuff below!!

[ONE YEAR LATER]

"C'mooooon. How much longer are you going to be in here?"

Genesis' lips twitch into an amused grin as he glances over his shoulder at you. He's seated in front of the computer he's been glued to for a whole year now, reading yet another article about the DTD – Door To Darkness. You were practically an expert at this point after everything you've read over his shoulder.

"Someone's impatient," Genesis notes softly, leaning back in his seat as he stretches his arms over his head.

You can hear his back crack as he stretches, and he sighs in relief at the action.

"You've been here for 10 hours without a break," you point out. "This isn't healthy, Gen."

He reaches a hand behind him, resting it on your wrist as he pulls you down closer to him. Your eyes soften in pleasurable surprise as his lips find yours, his free hand resting on the side of your face as he holds you. You bend down, practically kneeling in front of him as you rest your hands on his shoulders for stability.

"See, we can keep doing this if you call it a night," you coo gently, placing delicate kisses across his cheeks.

He chuckles, patting the hand he's holding in his as his bright blue eyes lock with yours. The year had been kind to him – he's only grown more handsome with age, and you like to think your near-constant presence has helped him to come out of his shell, if only a bit.

"Soon, I promise. I'm onto something here, though," he points out, nodding towards the screen.

With a sigh you nod, placing a kiss on his cheek before you stand up and smile sadly down at him.

"I'll be in the library. Come find me when you're ready for bed."

"Of course," he murmurs, giving you a small wave before he turns his attention back to the computer.

A chill runs through your body as you head into Ansem's study and out into the castle. Running your hands up and down your arms for heat, you make your way towards the library as quickly as possible. Living in the castle wasn't terrible, but parts of it definitely kept you on-edge. Genesis' presence always helped, though. He had such a calming presence about him, and when he wasn't working he was a great traveling companion.

Unfortunately, he's always working. Not that you necessarily minded, however. He never came out and said it but you know one of the reasons he so obsessively combs through the material is to better understand the Organization, Vanitas, and just what happened to you. You did your best to not think about the fact that you died, and someone was born from your death... but it did feel unnatural, knowing that you really shouldn't be alive.

Finally, when you reach the library, you inhale deeply. The smell of old books courses through your nostrils, and with an eager giggle you hurry off to your favorite section.

Meanwhile, Genesis continues to scan the screen in front of him, the words jumbling together in his vision. Finally, he tilts his head as three words jump out: Destroying The Light.

He keeps reading.

"Nobodies have cheated death.

They are thus cursed to live in torment, without a heart or emotions."

You hum softly to yourself as you run a finger down the long line of old and decaying books. None seem to be striking your fancy, especially since you had already read a good number of them.

"Those born from darkness will never stop in their quest to bring the worlds into the darkness.

Those who cheat death will cause the worlds to crumble into nothing."

Frankenstein... The Jungle... The Magna Carta?? You sigh and drop your head. Nothing is jumping out to you.

"There will come a time when, through choice encounters, a Nobody will learn to love.

The one that a Nobody loves will hold the Key to destroying the light."

Genesis' blue eyes narrow as he re-reads the last two lines. His heart starts to race uncomfortably as the meaning behind the words slowly sinks in.

"To cause one born from the darkness to feel shows a power not to be underestimated.

For they are the ultimate representation of 'the light.'"

"Ah!" you exclaim, grinning as you grab the book you've been searching for from the shelf. "There you are."

Eagerly you flip it open, eyes locked on the page as you start reading the first chapter.

"They must be protected at all costs."

A ruffling sound echoes through the library. You quickly look up, glancing around with suspicion.

"Genesis?" you call out.

"If they die, the Door will open."

"Guess again," a voice calls out from behind you.

Before you can turn around, arms roughly grab you around the shoulders.

"And darkness will envelop the worlds."

Genesis practically throws his chair to the ground as he jumps up, sprinting out of the computer room and towards the library. After what feels like years he gets there, throwing open the large double doors.

"[Name]?!" he calls out, his heart sinking when he's greeted by silence.

His eyes land on the large desk beside the staircase; your favorite reading spot. He quickly walks over, feeling almost ill when he spots papers and books thrown about. The desk has been knocked over, along with the heavy chair behind it. A piece of paper is tacked onto the wall, with his name on it. Genesis rips it down, his eyes scanning the scribbled handwriting.

"Finder's keepers.

Love, Vanitas"