Deep Jungle [Noctis]

A/N: Be SURE to read the chapter before this – this is Noctis' result, not a "real" chapter.

<>

"Hey," Noctis greets as you slump a shoulder against his and release a loud sigh as you allow yourself to relax ever so slightly against him. "Wanna be my partner?"

"Huh?" you ask, glancing up at him with slightly furrowed brows.

He holds up his own odd orb from Cid.

"Partners. We're splitting up in groups of two," he explains to you as you begrudgingly stand up straight.

"Oh. Yeah, of course," you agree with a nod and a smile. "Where are we headed?"

"No clue," he replies with a shrug.

Just then, as if to answer your question, a portal pops up right in front of you. You glance behind you to see Roxas standing there, lowering his hand back to his side.

"When you guys are done, just call me. I'll come get you," Roxas tells you.

"Thanks, Rox," you respond, squeezing his arm before you follow Noctis into the portal.

Once the darkness dissipates, you're greeted by a winding clearing of vine-like trees as well as small bodies of water. You immediately recognize it at the Deep Jungle, a world you never really wanted to return to after being attacked by a jaguar, falling into a body of water filled with hippos, and suffering general annoyances at the hands of Xigbar.

"Oh great, of course they send us here," Noctis complains as he glances around the jungle.

"Think of it as an adventure," you suggest with a cheery grin.

He just gives you a look before sighing and heading towards the camp site you both hope is still there, just beyond the clearing. You turn the corner, your eyes immediately landing on equipment for experiments, as well as camping supplies, books, and other such trinkets. Jane and her father's tent is still there, just as you remember it.

"Is it just me, or does this place seem fine?" Noctis asks.

"It's just you," you reply as you point to the sky.

He follows your gaze, frowning as he spots an identical beacon to the one in Hollow Bastion reaching up into the air smack in the middle of the jungle, away from where you just came. Darkness is swirling around it, starting to pour out and cover the thick trees that make up this world.

"Ah, shit," he curses, rubbing his temple as the two of you start to walk towards the beacon.

"Hello?"

A soft voice causes both of you to stop, and you glance towards the tent to see Jane's head poking out. She looks nervous, her hair pulled back in a messy ponytail and her face shining with a thin layer of sweat.

"Oh! I remember you," she greets with a small smile as she steps out.

"How are you?" you ask, distracted momentarily as Tarzan comes leaping out of the tent like a wild animal.

At least he hasn't changed.

"Friends!" he greets, his voice sounding a little more human-like than it had the last time.

"Do you two know what's going on?" Jane asks, gesturing towards the beacon in the sky and its accompanying darkness.

"Nothing we can't handle. You should stay inside though, until everything's under control," Noctis tells them.