What We're Fighting For

Even though the relationship between Reader and her boy of choice is established and known, I love having these little moments with EVERY guy to show that they're all still connected and close. Otherwise – the story falls flat. So there's gonna be one for each guy C:

Credit for the title goes to MichelleNewman1 and her awesome song suggestion :D

ALSO: IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO WRITE FOR ONE WORLD IN PARTICULAR - leave a comment at the end or shoot me a message :3

A tired yawn escapes your mouth as you groggily make your way down the hallway. It's absolutely freezing, 50 degrees at the warmest. They were really going crazy with their air conditioning this morning. It's around 7:00, and you had barely slept the night before. You hadn't mentioned to anyone what you had witnessed with Sephiroth, not even [him].

You're already keeping Vanitas' assistance a secret; what's one more?

But, should you tell someone this? After all, it's not just Sephiroth's sanity. He's presumably keeping you, and all of your friends, safe. If he's losing his mind, should he be entrusted with so much power, and knowledge over your whereabouts?

As you reach your training room, you lazily reach out a hand and tap the door. It slides open with a soft 'whoosh,' revealing Angeal hunched over the computer, whispering with two other people. Zack and Genesis. They jump before glancing over their shoulders, relaxing when they realize it's just you.

"You're early," Angeal notes, standing up straight and turning around.

"Couldn't sleep. Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

"... No," Genesis replies simply, folding his red jacket over his arm so that he's just wearing black pants and a black long-sleeved shirt.

"We're just catching up," Zack adds, flashing you a signature grin.

You narrow your eyes, immediately recognizing that smile. It's forced, fake. He's lying.

"Okay," you reply with a sigh, too tired to fight it.

You walk towards the group, resting the palms of your gloved hands on the desk beside the large computer controlling the room. Your head is slightly lowered, your brows furrowed.

"Something on your mind?"

You glance towards Angeal, then look between the two 1st Class members currently avoiding your gaze.

"Um," you clear your throat, standing up straight, "actually, it's kind of... private."

"Darn, guess we'll have to get going!" Zack exclaims with too much enthusiasm before all but running out of the room.

Genesis watches him leave before shaking his head and sending you a small smile.

"Good luck with training, [Name]," Genesis tells you, bowing his head a bit before marching out after the younger SOLIDER.

"... Boy, they're terrible liars," you note the moment the door closes behind Genesis.

Angeal releases a laugh, scratching the side of his neck as he looks down at you.

"There's a reason they aren't Turks. Subtlety and manipulation aren't our strong suits here," Angeal tells you.

You want to ask just what the heck the Turks are, but with the past week you've experienced, maybe it's better not knowing.

"Glad you and Zack are talking," you say, rubbing your arm with your hand.

"He gets mad at me if I go too long without calling him. Then he eventually gets over it," Angeal explains, his eyes narrowing. "Now stop stalling. What did you want to talk to me about?"