Breaking Down

A/N: What's that? Actual plot development? WHY YES

Also if you haven't played FFVII/Crisis Core... You're not gonna get the significance of two of these scenes. But don't worry, it'll all come together C:

Your breaths are coming out in jagged huffs, sweat practically pouring down your brow as you lie down on the ground. The entire room is covered in soot, burn marks, and entire chunks of the wall, ceiling, and floor are missing. Axel is next to you, also collapsed and panting for air.

You had never felt more alive.

"I love fire," you finally state, breaking the silence.

Axel starts to laugh, turning his head so that he's looking over at you. His arms are open wide, one of his legs brushing against yours.

"Told you. Once controlled, it's beautiful," he replies.

He continues to watch you in silence for a few moments before swallowing a lump in his throat and glancing up at the ceiling.

"For the first time in almost two years, I finally feel like I deserve to be here," you tell him.

"Ah, don't be stupid. You've always had the potential. We've just been training you the wrong way," Axel points out, wiping his sweaty and dirty face with his forearm. "You're a natural at this stuff though."

You smile, looking over at him. Wearing the SOLDIER uniform, sweaty, smiling... You'd never guess he doesn't have a heart. How much of a difference time can make.

"Thanks, Axe."

He grins at your use of his nickname before a loud 'creak' echoes throughout the room. The two of you glance over at the doorway, spotting Angeal and Leon standing there with their mouths dropped open in shock.

"What did you two do?!" Leon snaps, looking around the charred room.

"You said to let loose!" Axel exclaims, propping himself up on his elbows.

"Yeah, not to destroy the room," Angeal argues, shaking his head as he raises two fingers to his temples and squeezes his eyes shut.

"We're sorry," you murmur as you drag yourself to your feet.

You glance towards Axel with raised eyebrows, and he sighs and rolls his eyes.

"... Yeah, we're sorry," he repeats, a hint of sarcasm to his voice.

"Whatever. Let's get you in sword training," Leon grumbles, gesturing out the door as he locks eyes with a frowning Axel.

"I don't get a break?" he complains as he follows the brunet out.

"Don't push it," Leon scoffs, leading the redhead out into the hallway.

You glance towards Angeal, shuffling your feet a bit as you play with your fingers.

"So... How'd you do?" he asks, opening his eyes as he looks over at you.

"Good! I think... I mean, I was able to control the fire, and Axel didn't kill me, so... progress?"

Angeal chuckles as you head over towards him.

"Sorry about the room," you add as the two of you walk out into the hall.

"It's fine. They're meant to be a little scuffed up. You should see what Gen does to them."

You laugh quietly, awkwardly rubbing your hand up and down your arm as you think of a conversation-starter. Ever since arriving at Midgar and Shinra, Angeal had changed into a different person. More serious, less happy. It bothered and upset you.