[4] Pep Talks

As the set ended and the volleyball rolled off our court, I quickly set my notes down and stood up, anxious now that Kageyama had slowly turned around and was now approaching Hinata with closed fists.

Unfortunately, Tanaka and Tsukishima began to laugh, holding their stomachs as they doubled over while tossing taunts at Kageyama.

"Nice headshot!" Tsukishima called out, covering his mouth with his hand.

Tanaka snorted and followed quit, pointing at him as he continued to walk towards Hinata. "Is your head okay?"

Desperately, Sugawara raised his hands, shaking them towards the two boys who were still laughing on the court.

"Don't encourage him!"

I glanced over at Hinata, and my eyes widened. He seemed like he'd completely accepted his death.

"Stop it, you guys!"

"You better do something." Mr. Takeda said with a nervous smile, and Shimizu nodded.

Relieved that she was going to settle the situation, I let out a small breath but was instantly shoved forward, right in the between Kageyama and Hinata.

I stumbled to catch myself, but jumped back and hid behind Hinata when I noticed Kageyama hadn't slowed down. Shaking, I peeked my head over Hinata's shoulder as he froze in dread and shook my head.

"W-Wait!" I squeaked, and thankfully he paused, looking over Hinata's mess of orange hair to see me.

"Why are you wearing my jacket?"

Even though he was sweating immensely and blatantly terrified, Hinata managed to turn around and face me, eyes wide.

"H-Hey! We're not talking about me, we're t-talking about you!" I stuttered out, not wanting to explain that Shimizu had been the one that had given it to me.

Hinata cringed and Kageyama turned back to him, to which I sighed softly in relief before tensing up once more. I forgot that I had been sent to settle this, and I had restarted it again.

"What's got you s-so nervous, Hinata?" I asked with a small smile before Kageyama could speak.

I took a few steps to the side to make myself more visible and flashed him a nervous grin, scratching the back of my head as I attempted to ease the problem.

"You should talk, you've been a stuttering mess since we got here." Kageyama pointed out bluntly, and I scowled, pointing at him in annoyance.

"That's none of your concern, Kageyama, and this isn't about me like I've said before!"

He raised an eyebrow but then lifted his hand slowly to the back of his head, turning back to Hinata menacingly.

"Is it because your opponents are tall?"

"Kageyama!" I hissed, seeing Hinata begin to sweat again.

"Or because this is your first practice match?"

Angrily, I clenched my fists at my sides and frowned, shaking my head. Kageyama then slapped the back of his head once more and I flinched at the loud smack it made.

"Whatever you're scared of," He continued as he stared unblinkingly at poor Hinata, "made you serve directly at the back of my head."

I nervously stepped in between the two of them once again, this time facing Hinata.

"What's got you afraid?" I whispered, trying my hardest to not glance back at Kageyama.

After a moment of silence, he spoke, shaking.