[34] Asahi Comes Back!

Hinata joined Kageyama and me when we both sat down on the bench, bouncing up and down in pure exhilaration for the practice match to come. As Kageyama shouted at him for his excessive energy, I made a few simple calculations in my head and ushered Coach Ukai over, waving my pencil around as I spoke.

"We're down two players," I ignored Hinata who was hopping from side to side and peeking out of the gym window, "so we might need to take some people from the b--"

"IT'S ASAHI-SAN!"

Nishinoya froze in his steps and I spun around, eyes wide as Hinata hung from the metal bars protecting the glass window. Suga and Tanaka both gasped and rushed over, shoving their faces in between the bars. I jumped out of the way and scurried over to open the gym doors, followed by Kageyama and Ukai.

"Asahi-San!!" Hinata screamed.

"Asahi-Saaan!!" Tanaka shouted.

I peeked my head around the corner and giggled as Asahi flinched, averting his gaze away from Hinata, who just was staring at him like a child would when they saw Santa. Ukai, unlike Hinata, wasn't pleased.

"THE HELL, A LATECOMER, HUH! YOU MESSING WITH ME, HUH? WHAT'S YOUR POSITION!!"

Instantly, I covered my ears. I didn't hear what Asahi-Kun replied with but I already knew he was a wing-spiker. Kageyama and I stepped away from the entrance, watching with wide eyes as somehow, Mr. Ukai managed to yell at Asahi enough to convince him to come into the gym, ready to play. Nishinoya stared at him when he stepped inside but Asahi refused to look up, already sweating.

All the other team needed now was a setter.

"I would do it, but I gotta watch things from the sidelines..." Coach Ukai mumbled, rubbing his chin.

"Why doesn't the other team lend one, since they have both Kageyama and Sugawara?" I suggested with a small shrug. Ukai nodded in approval but before either player could make a decision, Suga stepped out from our side of the court and made his way to the other side of the net, fists clenched.

Kageyama stopped him before he could cross over completely, speaking to him without hesitation. "I'm not going to give up the position to you."

Suga faltered, eyes on the ground. Hinata and I peeked over Tanaka's sides to watch the setters exchange words, a bit worried as to what they would say. Sugawara seemed slightly shaken up and even Sawamura-Kun was paying close attention to them now.

"You know, when you joined, Kageyama, I thought we'd compete for the regular setter spot," Suga told him as his body tensed, "but in some aspect... I think was relieved.

"The setter is the pivoting point of a team's attack. He must be absolutely steadfast. But I... was scared... of tossing the ball... I was scared that the spikers would be blocked over and over again as a result of my toss, hid in the shadows the overwhelmingly skilled Kageyama."

Suga's shoulders began to shake under the pressure they were in. "... And I.. was relieved...!"

"If I think about the instant a spike is knocked down, I'm still scared even now. But!"

He turned to Asahi-Kun, level-headed demeanor back in place. I smiled, content to see that this was all just a pep talk for Asahi and himself.

"Let me toss the ball to you one more time, Asahi," Suga demanded, grabbing the former ace's attention. Asahi wasn't even given a chance to respond, seeing as how nervous he had become, and Suga went back to addressing Kageyama, back facing him.

"That's why I'm joining this side, Kageyama," Suga said before turning his head to look at us. "I'm not going to lose."

I smirked and Hinata poked his head over Kageyama's shoulder, eyes shining as his setter spoke for their side. "Same goes for me."