[45] What's in the Sky?

If you were to ask someone what they thought of when they looked up at the sky, I could only guess that the answer depended on the person. If someone were to ask Oikawa, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that he'd say something related to aliens-- which was another topic altogether with him. I remember I asked my dad once and he went off on a tangent saying that he was convinced at some point in his life that the moon was made of cheese and that my mom, his then girlfriend, hadn't talked to him for days because of it.

I asked Kageyama after we finished eating our lunch.

"It's blue," he mumbled, rubbing his hair. He was laying down on the floor and looking up at it with narrowed eyes, almost daring it to not be it's natural color. I sat next to him and blinked.

"Well, I guess you're not wrong," I said. I tilted my head up to see if I could spot anything else, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. A small smile grew on my lips and Kageyama raised an eyebrow.

"Oi, what's in the sky?"

He shuffled slightly as he sat back up, unbothered that his school uniform was probably wrinkled now after laying down for so long. We only had about twenty minutes left before classes started back up and no one had come up to the rooftop since lunch started.

"Well, lots of things, if you want to get technical," I counted on my fingers, "there's carbon dioxide, oxygen, then the layers of the atmosphere, starting with the troposphere--"

"No, stop," Kageyama interrupted, shaking his head as he made a face, "that's too literal."

I pursed my lips as I felt myself get hot, slightly embarrassed at how complex I'd started to become. It was a habit of mine, but Kageyama quickly retook his words and tried to explain himself before I could take it harshly.

"Remember how they have us analyze stupid, simple stuff during Literature?" I gave him a nod and he continued, letting his shoulders drop, "I mean like that."

The fact that Kageyama actually recalled something from today's lesson made me beam, absolutely proud at what progress he was making. And it wasn't just him either; when I was in the teacher's lounge, I'd manage to hear from a conversation the sensei's were having that both Hinayana and Nishinoya were both starting to participate more in class and Tanaka wasn't falling asleep as much anymore during lectures.

If I kept getting results like these, I'd work for nights on end just to make sure I kept them on their toes.

Kageyama sipped his milk and I tilted my head upwards.

"Then there's still a lot of things," I said, pointing to the sun, "there's hope. And happiness. Opportunity and unison."

Then I turned my finger towards the darker side of the sky as it was slowly coming to approach and engulf us probably later today, meaning it would be cold and rainy by the time practice was over.

"It's also despair, heartbreak and misery."

Out of nowhere, Kageyama started to cough violently and choke on his milk, holding his hand over his mouth to catch any that might spill out. I scrambled to my feet and hurried to give him a napkin and took away the carton of milk, debating whether I should call a teacher or not because his face was still red. Before I could start to make my way to the exit, Kageyama snatched my arm and pulled me back down next to him, making me fall backwards beside him. He coughed a few more times before turning to look at me, wiping away his mouth as I watched in worry.

"You're scary," he said in a weak voice, coughing again to clear his throat. I furrowed my brows at his accusation and shook my head, pointing my finger at his nose now, making him successfully flinch.