[40] Dad Threats

"So Tomo, will you be my fucking girlfriend or not?"

Kageyama still had his face tucked away from sight when he asked, leaving me stunned as my body went numb. I knew deep down that I had to reply with something quickly, anything. Silence was worse than a straightforward 'no' and that wasn't my intended answer either. At the moment, for the first time in a long time, I was just so caught of guard, that I had to ask a question.

"Why... why m-me...?" I mumbled, closing the notebook in front of me. There was a heavy sigh and Kageyama's eyes glanced up, half-lidded as he stared back at me. I gulped and hurried to clarify myself.

"I would l-love to b-be your g-g-girlfriend, but as a g-generally i-insecure person, I d-don't feel confident with you asking m-me to b-be y--"

Kageyama suddenly slapped his hands on the living room table, shutting me up immediately as he glared me down. I flinched and shrunk in my spot, ready to be yelled at.

But the shouts never came.

"What the hell do you have to be insecure about?" he demanded with terrifying calmness, eyes boring into my own as he stood up and straightened himself out. The image of Hinata getting lectured by Kageyama flashed through my mind and I made a mental note to give him credit for not running away whenever it happened because it was damn scary to be on the receiving end. Gulping, I refused to answer, knowing well enough that my anxiety and depression weren't valid excuses right now.

"God, you're just like Hinata. Can't you see how important you are?"

Kageyama slowly sat back down and placed the right side of his face down on the table, sighing softly. I swallowed thickly and tried to speak.

"I-I..."

"You know, even your stuttering is cute to me," Kageyama mumbled, ruffling his hair, "let's just get these corrections over with so I can go the fuck home."

The breakfast on the table had gotten cold now, mimicking the atmosphere in the living room. I shivered at how crestfallen Kageyama was now and I bit the inside of my lower lip, scraping my so called intelligent brain for a simple sentence. Inside, I was screaming at myself, shouting and yelling to not let him go: Say yes. Just say yes.

"Y...Y-Y..."

"You're really fucking smart. You're really attractive to me. You have this way of getting my attention. It's a struggle to keep my eyes off you, especially during practice, then my tosses end up off..." Kageyama listed, cutting me off. He seemed robotic now, indifferent to his words and my reactions. I kept turning deeper shades of red and my grip on the table continued to tighten, leaving my knuckles white.

"K-Kageyama..."

He grunted, keeping his eyes away from
me. I didn't care, that would be better than staring him dead on. I bit my tongue harshly and spit out what I'd been wanting to say since the beginning, feeling a surge of oxygen break through, now able to breathe again.

"Y-Y-Yes."

His head snapped up from its hiding place and we stared at each other for a few terrifyingly silent seconds, slowly but surely comprehending what we both were to each other now. Or at least what we would try to be because of how incredibly socially awkward we were. I didn't hear the front door slam open because of how enveloped I was in the smile-emitting silence, but sure enough my dad's loud voice broke through my head with a sharp pierce, making me break out in a cold sweat and lose my joy instantly.

I was so dead.

"OI! TOMO, I forgot my lunch--"

Dad stopped in his steps in front of the living room doorway, eyes blank as he realized I wasn't alone. I scrambled to my feet and hurried up to him as Dad's finger went from me to Kageyama, obviously still confused.