[23] Hinata Meets The Friendly Giant

The three of us walked around the school halls in thick silence, allowing Kageyama's intense radiation of rage to clear the paths of anyone in our way. Hinata cowered behind me and I clutched my backpack to my chest, not wanting Hinata to take my papers that held information about the team and also hoping it would shield me from anything Kageyama could send my way.

Our bruised foreheads attracted unwanted attention that was immediately shut down by Kageyama's nasty glare, despite us being the foreigners in the third-year wing part of the school.

"A-Asahi-Kun's classroom is u-up ahead..." I stuttered, pointing to Class 3.

We all stopped a few feet before the entrance to the classroom and glanced at each other in sudden apprehension. Even Kageyama's temper had significantly decreased.

"You should go in first, Tomo-Chan," Hinata said softly, lightly poking me in the direction of the room.

My eyes widened and I instantly jumped out of the way, hiding behind Kageyama as I glared at Hinata angrily.

"Me?! You're the one that wanted to see the ace so badly!"

Hinata whined and threw his arms up, obviously locked in a battle between his guts and fears. Kageyama crossed his arms but I didn't move from my spot behind him.

"But... going into a third-year room is so scary!"

I stuck my tongue out at him and shook my head, refusing to take another step. Asahi was 184 centimeters tall and if anyone was going to look up at him just to be annoying, it certainly wasn't going to be me. That would look bad on my part as tutor and co-manager.

Hinata could be my guest to do as he pleased; after all, he had no trouble almost giving Kageyama and me a concussion.

"Asahi, wait!"

Suga's voice echoed off the walls and Hinata spun around with enough speed to match his quick attacks, practically bumping into Asahi Azumane if it hadn't been for Kageyama who held him back by the back of his collar.

I had to admit, Asahi-Kun was a lot scarier in person. With a height surpassing Kageyama's by only about 4 centimeters, he easily looked down on Hinata and me as we both stared up at him with wide eyes, immobilized in shock.

He certainly gave off the impression of an ace.

"Y-YOU'RE THE ACE?!"

I flinched at how loudly Hinata shouted, already visualizing the punch Kageyama was going to send his way for being so disrespectful. Asahi-Kun, however, seemed unaffected by it and only turned around to face us, eyebrows raised quizzically.

The longer I was able to inspect him, the more and more I saw that his eyes only contained gentleness and if anything, shyness. The visual representation of a friendly giant.

Maybe that was why he did not want to come back to the club.

"E-Eh? Can I help you?"

Asahi blinked at the three of us and Hinata ducked behind Kageyama's shoulder, pushing me forward despite my inaudible protests. He looked down at me and my stomach began to twist, nervousness racking through my spine. Luckily, Suga jogged over to us when he noticed our awkward and unusual position, saving me from having to explain why Hinata wanted to talk to him.

"Ah, these are the first years that've joined recently, Kageyama, Hinata, and Tomo," Suga explained heartily.

My anxiety decreased and I gave Asahi a small smile, now able to pinch Hinata's arm after a moment of being frozen so I could pull him out and shove him in front of me.