[37] Low-Key Jealous Kageyama Is Pretty Predictable

With Shimada aiming straight at Hinata the rest of the match with his float serves, they didn't stand a chance at successfully receiving any ball-- no offense to Hinata. The Neighboorhood Association team won both sets and nothing could have made my dad any happier.

"D'YOU SEE THAT, SWEETIE?"  he yelled as he roughly rubbed the top of Suga and Asahi's head, ignoring their whines. "WASN'T THAT COOL AS HELL?"

I dragged the cart of volleyballs across the gym, nodding my head without even glancing up at him. It would only encourage him to keep being so loud and then Ukai would lose his coach-coolness and everything would be a disaster. They acted like reckless teenagers sometimes, honestly.

"Do... you always ignore your dad like that?"

I glanced up and saw Kageyama leaning against the equipment room door, arms crossed as he asked me. Stuffing the cart into a corner, I nodded.

"I get used to it and that's how he is," I explained with a small smile, "I just don't encourage it."

He seemed to take that as an answer and nodded back to me, picking up the hem of his practice shirt and using it to wipe his top lip from sweat. My cheeks turned red as I caught a glimpse of his toned stomach and I scurried past him out of the room. He followed slowly after.

"We didn't win," he mumbled as I started putting the food away, "you didn't cheer hard enough."

I raised a brow and paused to look at him. "Me cheering does nothing to change the probability of you winning both matches."

Kageyama narrowed his eyes at me.

"Talking smart doesn't make change anything either," he retorted. A smile broke through my serious expression and I turned back to keep cleaning up when a heavy hand fell on my shoulder, stopping me again.

"It'd be nice if someone helped you, wouldn't it, Katsu?"

Kageyama glanced up behind me and I stopped putting away the rice-balls. There

wasn't even a need for me to look up because I could already feel the stare he was giving: the I'm-going-to-murder-you-if-you-don't-get-what-I'm-hinting-at glare. Ukai taught him how to make it and he's used it ever since it helped him win a free motorcycle.

Kageyama blinked and turned his head to see the food that needed to be put away before nodding slowly. "I was going to help her take it back to her house, or would you rather do it?"

I choked on my air, holding back my laughter as my eyes widened at the fact that he hadn't been fazed. Either he was too slow to recognize an actual threat or he simply was that detached from human interaction that he couldn't tell. I felt it was a strong mix of both. Dad stood in shock (since no one had ever brushed off his infamous glare) for a few seconds before grinning, letting his free hand swing heavily at Kageyama's back. There was a loud smack and my eyes widened.

"You're some kind of setter, aren't you?" Dad asked, genuinely impressed. Kageyama winced slightly as he shrugged off both the question and the pain. "He's kind of like Tooru, isn't he, Katsu?"

I stopped packing. Kageyama seemed to tense up under my dad's hand and he moved out from beneath him, spacing himself from us because he'd been compared to his senpai and now rival. Turning away from them both, I quickly gave a response, picking up the pace with my cleaning.

"If anything, I think Kageyama can beat Tooru if it really came down to it," I said with slightly slurred words, not wanting to insult my dad's adopted son or hurt Kageyama's self-esteem. Luckily for me, this had been the right answer.