[20] Eavesdropping

Mentally, my instincts told me to have someone stop Hinata from making matters any worse with Nishinoya-Kun. Externally, however, I had no choice as Yamaguchi and Suga both pulled me outside so we could all eavesdrop on their conversation. I was shoved between Tsukishima and Ennoshita behind a set of stairs and frankly barely had room to breathe as Tanaka began climbing on top of us.

"Quit it," Tsukishima hissed at him as his foot started to come dangerously close to his ribcage and my forehead, "You're gonna ruin it."

Tanaka-San ignored him and placed his palm on Suga's head, which was instantly swiped away by Sawamura-Kun, resulting in him crashing down onto Ennoshita's lap in a painful crumble.

I held my breath and looked up at Nishinoya-Kun to see if he had heard us but Hinata and him continued on conversing without a pause.

"He's so annoying," Kageyama mumbled behind me, hand at his chin as he rolled his eyes.

My lips pursed at his unhappy state but Hinata's shouts stopped me from trying to be of any comfort.

"Captain called you a 'Guardian Deity'!"

At this, Sawamura-Kun groaned quietly and Nishinoya-Kun's ego visibly soared through the air.

"Guardi-?! Wh-What's up with that?!" Nishinoya stuttered out, head spinning left and right to find where the praise could have come from. I giggled and Kageyama again muttered under his breath.

Scratching the back of his head, Nishinoya-Kun continued on with now pink cheeks as Hinata watched on with a beaming smile.

"Being called such an extravagant name... I'm not really..."

He paused and looked directly at Hinata.

"He really said that?"

A nod.

"He really did," Hinata assured positively.

Finally believing him, (even though I'm sure he had believed him as soon as Hinata had told him the first time), Nishinoya-Kun began chuckling heartily with his hands at his knees. I craned my neck to continue watching but a sudden sharp pain jolted up my left side and a bald head instantly blocked my view.

Tanaka-San's elbow had dug into my ribcage, and I let out a small whine, which was instantly covered up by Suga's hand. Kageyama yanked me back and I was left with teary-eyes and a sore left torso.

"Apologize!" Sugawara hissed at a panic-stricken Tanaka, who sweat-dropped and hastily bowed several times.

"Gomen'nasai, gomen'nasai!"

I rubbed away my eyes and shook my head, ignoring the growing pain. Sawamura-Kun pushed his hand down on Tanaka's head with a deep frown to keep him from moving and besides me, Tsukishima adjusted himself on the floor once more before finally standing up and stretching his back, cracking it a bit in the process.

Luckily for him, his tall blonde head was covered by the stairs in front of him and had no chance at being seen.

Not that I think he cared.

"This is a waste of my time, I'm going back inside to practice," he announced, to which Yamaguchi jumped up at. Carefully stepped over each of us, he hurried over to catch up with Tsukishima and Ennoshita shook his head.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Kageyama watch them both walk away longingly, lovely blue eyes locked on the volleyball that had rolled out the gym door.

I paused when I realized I had been staring at his eyes longer than needed and flushed, turning away with a slight cough.

After a few seconds of letting myself cool down from the awkwardness that I was, I also stood up with a stretch of my arms.