Chapter 3

It took them a matter of minutes until they were standing outside of Corey's home. The angel slowed down when the human did, indicating that the pretty little house is where he lived.

It wasn't big, but it wasn't small. It had a homely feel, even from the outside. There were baskets, full of every coloured flower hanging outside the front door. The front lawn often got neatly trimmed, and the house was smothered with fresh paint every couple of years. Compared to the neighbours, it was very well looked after and loved. The home was one Corey could be very proud of, especially when showing it to an angel who looked down when all he could do was merely stare.

"Are you not going in?" he asked, snapping him out of his daze.

"I don't want to, my parents will be angry," sighing dully, he knew that if he kept them waiting any longer, they'd ground him forever. "I should go now." The human turned to Panuleon who was already watching him.

"Of course, it was nice to meet you, Corey," the angel smiled and took a step back. Looking up to the sky, he saw the many glistening stars calling his name. He wanted to fly for hours on end, setting his wings free.

"Wait, wait!" Corey grabbed Panuleon's attention before he took off. "Will I see you again?" Curiosity was vibrant in his mind. It is not every day he gets to meet an angel.

"I do not think so unless you get yourself into trouble again, this will be the last time I see you," he truthfully admitted. It is not that he doesn't want to see him again, there is so much evil in this world, and he does not want to expose young Corey to it. He would not want to ruin the innocence of a human by revealing it to what truthfully exists on this earth.

"Oh, alright. Goodbye, then Pan-u-leon." He had to make sure he said the angel's name correctly. It felt too important to Corey. He did not want to disrespect such a... special person.

The angel beamed at his new acquaintance before looking up at the stars again. He exposed his wings, and in the night, the creamy glow was visible and very beautiful. Corey's eyes soaked up the image, and in a blink, he vanished.

The human stared up at the sky, processing what he saw and suddenly feeling alone. Of course, it was not sinking in, how could it? He shook his head, opened the gate squeaky gate, and walked towards his home. Taking a deep breath, he slowly opened the front door. Preparing himself would be wise, knowing there would be angry parents waiting inside.

Corey looked around. The lights were off, and the silence was unbearable. He had to hold his breath when he stepped in. To his relief, there was no one in sight. He turned and shut the door quietly.

"Corey James Taylor!" His mother's voice filled his ears, causing him to freeze on the spot. "You are in so much trouble for taking advantage of that damn curfew!" Her voice was stern while he turned to look at his parents with shame plastered all over his face.

"I'm so sorry, we lost track of time!" he lied and put his hands in his pockets, trying not to fidget. The boy would have made it home on time if he didn't almost get mugged and beat up, only to be saved by an angel. He couldn't tell that to his parents, though, they would most likely test him for taking drugs.

"Son, we gave you that curfew because we trusted you. And you just throw it back in our faces?" His dad, Richard, looked a little hurt.

"You can trust me, I just forgot. It won't happen again." Corey was pleading, yet he knew what the outcome would be.

"You're right, it won't happen again because you're grounded." His mum crossed her arms.

'I knew it,' Corey thought and nodded slowly. "Okay." Sighing out of pity, the punishment was fair considering how much worry he put them through tonight.