S i x t e e n

|Ariana|

I threw the alarm clock ragingly to the ground, and this is why we don't party on Sunday's. "Fuck." I muttered as I quickly got out of bed and changed into the laid out clothes.

I finally finished up my daily routine and rushed down the stairs.

"Happy birthday." My mom smiled as she held a plate of pancakes to my face.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed an apple.

"I feel like I haven't seen you around here anymore. You've been spending so much time at Maxine's house." She paused then continued. "Never mind your still in trouble for coming home late and bringing that boy with you."

"Well Rebeca that's because I hate being at home because you and your stupid husband try to make me a little child of God. And "that boy" happens to be the only person who actually cares about how I feel."

She paused and stared at me. "Don't ever call me Rebeca ever again, you hear me."

"Got it Rebeca." I sarcastically smile. "By the way, Maxine is taking me to a restaurant so I'll be spending my birthday with her."

"Ariana Luna Anderson get back here."

I rolled my eyes and walked off to my car. I drove in silence to school hoping that I could just think about anything but Derek.

But there he was.

Everyday, his rapper sense of speaking was stuck in my mind. The way he smiled. The way his sleek black hair with his one streak of blonde was always covering his face, resulting in him pushing it back consta-

What am I doing.

Today is my day. I'm 18 finally.

As I arrived at school and got out my car I was surrounded by people with balloons and gifts. I blushed in awe as they sang happy birthday.

I checked my phone constantly looking at how it light up from happy birthday messages from a million people. Instagram posts and Twitter notifications made my phone blow up.

I walked to the entrance of school and sat down on the benches. Maxine sat next to me as she told me about her encounter with some boy.

But my mind drifted.. drifted off to Derek.

"So tell me about Derek.. So help me god if you don't take me to meet him."

"I told you why though maxi." I sighed.

"Who the fuck cares if you guys aren't a thing that means you can'-"

"It's just weird. You know actually I'm thinking about ending it."

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND." She screamed which brought people's attention on me. I smiled awkwardly.

"Keep your voice down. I'm developing feelings for Derek.. like I get hurt whenever I see him with someone else and you know I'm not a relationship girl." I sighed as I felt tears stinging my vision. "It's just not working anymore. I'm not a relationship girl so I'm gonna end it."

"Oh Ari come here." She pulled me into a hug as the tears fell from eyes. "Ari listen we're going to the club at 9 and we'll have fun. Okay." She paused and lifted my chin. "Listen it's gonna be okay. Don't cry on your birthday."

I sniffled as the bell rang.