CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

Her insistence to deny her attraction to him was cute.

And for the nth time, RJ wondered why this was an action he was willing to tolerate from her but not from any of the other girls he went out with before.

Hindi siya santo at hindi siya magpi-pretend na hindi siya naging gago to a number of women but as he looked at Maine, busy producing plates for them and boiling water for coffee, he could not imagine himself doing to her what he used to do to others.

If a girl so much as wavered and thought to herself that she would like RJ to chase her, he stopped seeing that girl.

Boom!

Out!

Sometimes not even a goodbye.

It was too much work.

Too much effort.

And he won't make excuses for himself about that. Alam ni RJ na it was "douche extraordinaire" behavior.

And most probably, even though some of the girls he met were just after his reputation and money, there could be someone in that lot that who might have genuinely hurt – someone who had hoped to be the answer to his loneliness and rage but ended up being discarded like trash.

"Isang slice lang ang sa'yo" Maine cut into his thoughts.

She smiled smugly at him as she laid out the slice she talked about, which was a little less than a half-inch.

Napa-iling siya at the childish action of hogging all that cake.

"Ok lang. Tatlo naman yung binili ko e. Thank you shinare mo sa akin yung sa'yo."

The woman's eyes shrunk to slits and RJ laughed, immediately taking a bit out of the slice of cake he was given and protecting the plate as well.

"Ang childish mo!" she accused.

"Ako talaga yung childish?" he challenged, smiling just as smugly as she did awhile ago.

Maine pouted. "Wala kang coffee!"

He made a tsk tsk sound. "Maganda sana e, medyo masama lang ang ugali."

"EXCUSE ME!!!"

RJ followed it up with a shaking of his head. "Mukha pa namang mabait nung una."

"Ikaw talaga ang nagsasabi sa akin nyan!"

"It takes one devil to know another."

Maine rolled her eyes and was about to respond when they heard the pot boil. She immediately headed for the stove to get their coffee ready.

RJ knew he really shouldn't be drinking coffee this late but hell, there are quite a lot of things he shouldn't be doing but he's already done.

He shouldn't be spending so much time thinking of her, sometimes distracting him from work.

He shouldn't be missing valuable hours of sleep.

He shouldn't even be happy about the fact that his last name sounded too good after her first name.

But he's gone way past a lot of "shouldn'ts" and "couldn'ts" by this time.

What if he lost more hours of sleep because of her?

"Bakit ka nakangiti?" she asked him suspiciously.

RJ wanted to tell her she was the reason for that smile but he controlled himself.

He has to reign in his tendencies of being a sap. He was not a man built on her and his feelings on her alone.

"Naalala ko lang si Kris" he answered instead.