episode 1 - boys, girls, and a new case (1)

⚒⚒⚒

⚒⚒⚒

Surgically given the body parts of dead celebrities and the face of a young Marilyn Monroe, Mindy Rose was one of The Doll Maker's perfect creations. She was as divine as a Greek goddess from top to bottom, gaining the nickname Doll Face from the men in Ramere.

"I like your hair," Joe Turner said, staring at her blonde locks, styled in a vintage finger-waves up-do. He couldn't remember the last time he saw Mindy that well dressed, but he wasn't going to complain. He had combed his hair and worn a suit for the first time in months.

"Thank you." Mindy smiled and her baby blues shone under the restaurant lights. Wearing an off-shoulder burgundy dress, she looked breathtaking. If her intention was to get Joe to stare at her for the rest of the night, it was working. It had been a while since they were alone. It was always him, her and Daisy. Or him, her, Daisy and their friends.

"How are your parents?" Joe grinned as he remembered winning against Mr. Flint at tennis after a few days of learning the sport. "Have his swings improved?"

"Not at all." The beauty spot on Mindy's left cheek stood out when she smiled. "But he enjoys telling his buddies he crushes you in every competition."

Joe's jaw dropped at that. "Crush me?" He snickered. "Your father should do stand up. Wait until I play against him again. I will record it in case he tries to lie."

"He'll say the video is fake or come up with another lame excuse," Mindy said. 

It wasn't the first time Joe had defeated her dad at his beloved sport. A Malibu incident involving a golf ball and a drunk caddie made Mr. Flint break his golf clubs after he lost. And one of Joe's favorites; a boxing training where he knocked the old man unconscious. 

"Are you good though?" Mindy asked.

"Yeah," replied Joe.

They stayed silent for a moment, but their heated gazes on each other electrified the air. Their friends had wondered if the two ever traversed the friendship boundary and took that next step. It wouldn't have been a shock as they used to give one another random kisses on the cheeks. Sometimes, Joe would carry Mindy on his back during their long walks through the city park. And also, not neglecting that one time at a costume party where they locked lips. But both sides blamed it on alcohol, even though Joe had never taken a sip.

"So," Joe began, his eyes widened, "oxygen, am I right?" He opened his palms in a questioning manner. "It keeps us alive." He looked at the ceiling. "Thank you, Mr. Oxy." 

He sucked at the whole going-on-a-date thing. And the longer it lasted, the weirder he got. "Do you think vegetarians realize plants are animals too? Have you realized clowns are not funny anymore? Why did we have to find X in school?" he asked.

"Joe." Mindy grabbed his hand. "Calm down. We are not on a romantic date." She understood him better than anyone else did. "I know they make you tense." Seeing the dazed look on his face, she let go. "What is it?"