episode 11 - sweet as a proxy (2)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

It was two hours past midnight and Shaun had left home to be with his best friends, Wolf and Fox. He had tagged along with them to their uncle's apartment in search of clues regarding the missing children in the city. 

Before they entered inside, the three glanced around to see if anyone or anything had followed them to the motel. Apart from a couple of owls staring and hooting, the only thing that could be seen or heard was the loud music coming from the bar next door.

"Come on, let's go," Wolf said, his brown eyes taking a final look across the parking lot. He straightened his leather jacket, then leaned down and began picking the lock. 

"Guys, this is a crime," said Shaun. I don't want to go to jail. "If we get caught, we can kiss goodbye our chances of getting into our favorite colleges." Shaun didn't want to be there. But in recent times, whenever he had refused to go out with his friends, they would end up telling him about an epic encounter they had, making him jealous. 

"Don't be a pussy, Shaun," Wolf said, before a tick sound came from the keyhole. He twisted the doorknob and pushed the door forward. He looked at his friend. "We didn't come this far so you could chicken out."

Entering inside, there were a ton of torn papers scattered all over the floor. It was as if a malicious creature had attacked a set of books. Empty and broken beer bottles also accompanied the mess, and there were dirty clothes on the stained green couch, with a bloodied vest on a rocking chair beside the TV at the corner of the living room.

This has to be the dirtiest place on Earth. "What is that smell?" Shaun gazed around and spotted three dead rats with their guts hung out. "I think I'm going to puke." He retched, putting a hand over his mouth. 

Wolf patted his friend's back. "That's it, buddy. Breath in, breath out." He faced his brother. "Are you getting all of this?"

Fox, who had his eyes behind a camera, nodded. 

"Can we leave? There's school tomorrow and Ms. Winsky will send us to detention if we are late to her class, again," said Shaun.

"Relax, Shaun. Ms. Winsky is old, she won't remember giving us a final warning," assured Wolf, checking the room. He knelt down and looked under the table - which was between the couch and TV - and dug his hand inside.

"That's what you said last time about her not remembering to give us a test, and you were wrong."

"She had forgotten, but Anthony 'Dickface' Brem reminded her." 

True. Stupid Anthony. Shaun never had a problem with Anthony, but after that day he hated the boy for eternity. Him reminding Ms. Winsky about giving them a test caused Shaun to drop from his constant As and down to his first and only B. I was lectured by Dad as though I had gotten a U. Why can't he be proud of me the way Wolf and Fox's father is of them? They get Cs and Ds and don't get lectured about it.