episode 18 - a proxy's fall from grace (2)

⚒⚒

⚒⚒

Joe had the edge of one of his axes stuck between the mouth of a bairn, while he struggled to the remove the other axe from the neck of another bairn after a failed decapitation. With one strong hold he pulled the second axe, but it didn't bulge. The head was stuck deep in the creature's neck, blood dripping all over it.

Come on. He tugged once again, this time using much more strength, but he got the same result. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result. But deep down he knew he could do it. 

He pulled the axe that was stuck between a bairn's mouth and cut its head in half, then threw it in the air, giving him enough time to use both hands to pull the other axe from the bairn's neck. Blood splattered like waterfall at his face after drawing it out of the vampire, but there was no time to pamper himself. 

Catching the axe coming down from the air, he spun around with arms outstretched. He cut off the bairn's head, before decapitating it with his other swinging arm. 

"That's what I'm talking about!" he shouted, after being victorious in something that should have taken him seconds to overcome. 

"Joe, watch out!" Mindy warned him.

The young man turned and a bairn attacked his torso, throwing them both to the ground. It climbed over him and nearly bit Joe's head off. But he was quick enough to stop it by grasping his hands around its neck. 

"Die!" he said through gritted teeth, trying to choke the vampire out. But it was useless. The bairn having seen it wasn't getting anywhere with its persistence, it used its sharp nails to dig into Joe's arms. "Aargh!" he cried in pain.

"Joe, are you OK?" Mindy asked after hitting two bairns with one spinning kick. 

"I'm... fine," replied Joe, blood flowing down his arms. 

Not weak anymore, the bairn took its chance and went after Joe's neck. The young man dodged its sharp teeth by an inch, feeling the newly turned vampire's hot breath on his skin as it drew its head back up. 

That was close.

The bairn attacked again and Joe evaded the same way he did before. Though it was being ordered by Rouge, its attacks were clueless. That was expected. 

Joe was losing a lot of blood. He needed to beat it quick. Glancing at the side, he saw one of his axes (Mary-Kate) lay on the ground. He used one hand to hold the bairn in place and tried to reach the weapon with another. The bairn swapped his claws and scratched his chest. 

Joe groaned in pain.

It was no use. He couldn't do it alone. 

"Mindy, spot me," said Joe. 

Mindy shot two bairns heading her way in the head, then turned to Joe's direction and threw him one of her guns. Joe punched the bairn on top of him and it fell to the side. He sat up, caught the gun, and fired multiple rounds at its head before watching it burst in sparks of fire.